Author Topic: MUSICALS: Get it out of my head!  (Read 6712 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
MUSICALS: Get it out of my head!
« on: Aug 15, 2008, 09:21 pm »
I could use a bit of help from experienced musical SMs.  I have only done straight plays in the last ten years, but I just finished the first week of rehearsals for "Altar Boyz."  As far as doing my job goes, it's like I never left muscials; I've got it all under control.  My cast, director, music director and choreographer are all GREAT to work with.  And, I'm actually really digging the show, which is a pleasant surprise to me, as a Catholic Boy Band is not exactly what usually floats my boat.
I only have one problem, which I had forgottten about from my previous experience.  THE SHOW MUSIC WON'T GET OUT OF MY HEAD!  Any single second in time that I'm not listening to something else, the music just loops in my brain.  It's keeping me up at night!  In the car, I can listen to audio books, and when I'm home, I listen to the radio or have the TV on in the background, but when bed time comes around, I can't do anything: my husband needs quiet to sleep.  I've tried sleeping with my iPod on, and it worked but I nearly strangled myself on the headphone cord.
Has anyone got any suggestions on how to exorcise the soundtrack from my poor brain until I need it?  I'll try (nearly) anything at this point; I NEED to get some sleep.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 03:03 am by PSMKay »
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
Re: Get it out of my head!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2008, 10:28 pm »
I've definitely been there, and I've definitely also almost strangled myself with the iPod headphones.  I don't have any suggestions for getting the music out of your head, but for sleeping...you could try investing in wireless headphones, but they're all huge (might not be comfortable to sleep with) and expensive.

What about one of those nature sounds CDs?  The ones that are just waterfalls or crickets or whatever?  Is that still too much noise for your husband?

If your sleep pattern is truly messed up - if you're tossing and turning for hours - maybe you should talk to your doctor about a temporary sleep aid.  I was dubious of sleep aids at first, but when used correctly all they do is teach your body how to fall asleep.  Maybe it would work?

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 10:30 pm by zayit shachor »

nmno

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2008, 01:36 am »
The only thing I can think of is: in the past when my mind is racing as I try to go to sleep I do guided meditation (focus on breathing, relax your toes, relax your ankles, relax your knees, moving up your body...)
Is it possible to go to bed before your husband, where you can listen to some music to get you to sleep and he can turn it off before he turns in?

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2008, 12:52 pm »
Thanks for your ideas, folks. 
The nature CD's unfortunately won't work.  I need something with a...pattern, for lack of a better word, to overide the rhythm of the music in my head: speech or music.  And, they "freak out" my husband (I have no idea why, and I don't ask).
I tried a guided meditation to get to sleep, and it did help: I passed flat out!  The show music was still there the second I woke up in the middle of the night, but at least I got a few hours worth.  Good idea.  Maybe I need a new pillow or something to help me stay asleep all night.  I might consider a sleep aid if it starts affecting my work.

I've also had some success forcing other music in my head at other times in the day.  Other musicals seem to work best.  "Steps of the Palace" from Into the Woods repalced "Jesus Called me on my Cell Phone" for a few hours last night, which was a pleasant change.

I don't mind so much music looping in my head in general.  I just don't want to "hear" the same stuff that I just heard for 7 hours of rehearsal earlier in the day!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2008, 09:57 pm »
Re: sleep aids, if you decide to go that route - the one that I use is called Trazodone, and it's designed to help you stay asleep through the night rather than fall asleep.  (Originally, in the 60's, it was an antidepressant, but it made people too drowsy and is now used exclusively as a sleep aid.)

There are also herbal supplements that you can try like Melatonin.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2008, 12:47 pm »
Whenever I've done a musical (and I would do this for ballets as well), as soon as I leave rehearsal or show for the night, I listen to music that is completely the OPPOSITE of whatever show I'm doing.

Example, if you're doing "Annie," listen to something like marilyn manson or metallica.  =) 

I've found that usually helps me.  Of course, you need to make sure the music that you choose to listen to is something you won't mind having stuck in your head.
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2008, 02:44 pm »
Re: sleep aids, if you decide to go that route - the one that I use is called Trazodone, and it's designed to help you stay asleep through the night rather than fall asleep.  (Originally, in the 60's, it was an antidepressant, but it made people too drowsy and is now used exclusively as a sleep aid.)

There are also herbal supplements that you can try like Melatonin.

I tried trazadone  and it worked great until we discovered that I'm one of the like .05% of the population allergic to it. I have yet to find that works as well.

There was no help in what I said, I just felt like sharing.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

captaincutlawn

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2008, 02:55 pm »
i dont remember the url but there are websites that will play songs to replace the one stuck in your head

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2008, 05:03 pm »
www.gaiam.com sells something called the Sleepsonic pillow.  It is a regular pillow with tiny speakers built in that plugs into a headset jack.  It is kind of pricy (I just looked it up and it is on sale for about $75), but would give you the ability to listen to music without disturbing your husband.

When I did a John Denver review musical I had to sleep with the radio on for the entire 6 month run.  Not because I hated the music (far from), but because phrases would just get stuck in my head over and over and there is only so much Rocky Mountain High I can take...

Good Luck!!

SSM
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2008, 09:06 pm »
www.gaiam.com sells something called the Sleepsonic pillow.  It is a regular pillow with tiny speakers built in that plugs into a headset jack.  It is kind of pricy (I just looked it up and it is on sale for about $75), but would give you the ability to listen to music without disturbing your husband.

<snip>

Now that is a brilliant idea, and perhaps worth the investment, as my ear-buds are not surviving the whole being slept on thing.

riotous