Author Topic: PROPS: Bugsy Malone Splurge  (Read 4587 times)

DSMAcademy

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
PROPS: Bugsy Malone Splurge
« on: Sep 21, 2014, 06:40 pm »
I am stage managing Bugsy Malone and need to know if anyone has any suggestions for "splurge".  Our theatre management prefers not to use silly string because of the potential to stain the curtains/deck.  Shaving foam burns the eyes.  We found an item called Avalanche foam which is used with some success in the UK, but can't seem to find it's equalivant here in the states. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The cast ranges from 10 to 18 with mostly 14 - 16 year olds.

Edited to add topic tag. - Maribeth
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2014, 12:03 am by Maribeth »

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: PROPS: Bugsy Malone Splurge
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2014, 12:04 am »
Hi there,
Can you explain what this prop is, and what it needs to do/how it is used? Not all of us are familiar with that particular show....

Thanks!

Maribeth
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 am by Maribeth »

DSMAcademy

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2014, 09:24 pm »
Sorry!  Bugsy Malone is a musical 1920's gangster spoof based on the 1980's Jodie Foster movie of the same name.  The gangs use "splurge" guns, which are specially built prop guns that shoot either silly string or foam (like shaving cream.)  There is one large full company "splurge" scene when everyone gets in the act with either custard pies or splurge guns. 

Shaving cream has mixed reviews mainly because if it hits the face it can burn the eyes.   Silly String used to be the "splurge" of choice, but it has a reputation for staining curtains and decks.  We need something non-toxic and non-staining  that will create the effect of either a foam fight or a silly string fight.  I have four performances that day so it also needs to be easy to clean off the deck and set.  I don't care about staining the costumes as they will be designed to be pretty disposable.  It's the stage curtains and deck we're mostly worried about.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.  Thanks.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2014, 12:49 am »
Would whipped cream work? It's edible so it wouldn't be a problem getting in people's faces, and unlike shaving cream it wouldn't sting. If you could find real whipped cream and not an oil based one it would likely not stain either, and costumes could just be washed.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2014, 06:57 pm »
Maybe some children's bath soaps that are in a foam based dispenser?  I would imagine that if it's marketed for children it's probably a "no tears" formula.  However I don't know if it would get the pressure needed to really shoot out super far (not sure what kind of distance you are hoping to get from these).

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2014, 12:38 pm »
According to the googlemachine, it looks like Avalanche (fake snow) spray tends to be the Splurge of choice across the globe. There are several websites that sell or rent Splurge guns, and this is the product that all of them use: http://messysupplies.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=179_218