Author Topic: PRODUCING: Autism-friendly performances  (Read 3714 times)

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
PRODUCING: Autism-friendly performances
« on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:16 pm »
After the initial success of an autism-friendly performance of "The Lion King" sponsored by The Theatre Development Fund, there are plans for a repeat performance as well as doing the same for a performance of "Mary Poppins." Here's the article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/07/autism-broadway-shows_n_1261372.html

I would like to propose a similar venture at my children's theatre, hopefully working hand-in-hand with an organization like Autism Speaks, to provide one performance per production for autistic children and their families. I feel if we can provide one performance per production for sign language interpreter, I think we can take it a step further and reach out to these families.

Has anyone else attempted this? Or attended a similar performance? Aside from Autism Speaks, does anyone know of good resources for information? I'd like to have a good idea just what would be involved before I begin drafting a proposal.

Edit to subject line-Rebbe
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:22 pm by Rebbe »

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Autism-friendly performances
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2012, 11:03 pm »
A number of years ago, I worked for a children's theatre company that did "Sensory-Friendly" performances of certain productions. The house lights stayed on (at a low level) during the show, and certain light and sound cues were altered to be less startling and/or loud.

If I remember correctly, they partnered with a local autism-friendly school and had a pretty good attendance for those performances (they were open to the public, similar to ASL-interpreted shows). One of the parents attending told me about a local movie theatre that did similar matinees.

The most important factor was a friendly, understanding atmosphere- everyone there (performers AND patrons) understood that some children might make noise or need to leave during the performance. Send me a PM if you want me to put you in touch with them.

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2012, 01:16 am »
I saw something online today that reminded me about this posting- it's about AMC Theatres doing autism-friendly performances. If you're still looking into this, you might look for a local chapter of the Autism Society.

BlueRidgeSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2012, 08:38 am »
As someone from the autism community, I'd steer you away from Autism Speaks and more towards something like the Autism Society of America (ASA).  There is some controversy within the community re: Autism Speaks because they operate on the assumption that autism is a disease and therefore can be cured.  Some people feel that way but many others do not, and prefer to work with other organizations because they feel strongly that those with ASD (autism spectrum disorders) are different, not diseased and argue that it cannot be cured.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2012, 10:42 am »
Dallas, if you're interested, I can put you in touch with some folks who have guidelines etc for this. They're currently working with The Lion King to make some tour stops autism-friendly performances as well.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2012, 04:03 pm »
That would be great, missliz! I'm definitely open to more than one adviser on this one.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2012, 04:20 pm »
Perfect. PM me your email address.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco