Author Topic: AUDITIONS: Call backs  (Read 5049 times)

Emmy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
AUDITIONS: Call backs
« on: Sep 17, 2005, 04:04 pm »
What are stage Managers expected to do for call backs? How can I tactfully and tastfully suggest a friend of mine for a part?
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 10:28 pm by PSMKay »

ERK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Call backs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2005, 04:48 pm »
In my experience, if you're at callbacks it's only to make sure things are organized.  You hand out the scripts, keep track of who's read with whom, etc.

Unless my opinion is solicited, I never suggest casting options.  The only case where I'd say anything is if you notice someone's listed a conflict that will make it difficult for him/her to attend all rehearsals.  There are directors that love to have your input, especially if they're new or know you've worked with the actors before, but there are those who want to cast their show the way they want it, regardless of other's advice or opinions.  Hopefully, you're working with a director who's open to your opinion, but I'd make damn sure that's the case before I said anything.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Call backs
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2005, 07:32 pm »
Quote from: "Emmy"
What are stage Managers expected to do for call backs? How can I tactfully and tastfully suggest a friend of mine for a part?

Suggestion: DON'T! If it is your FRIEND it is EXTREAMLY un professional, and contains an aspect of favoratism. As a Stage Manager, you should be above that. If you are not, you will loose all respect of the creative team in many cases.

If you think about it, each member of the creative team who sits in on auditions, has a standard - 'the bar'. Call backs are decided based on who goes over the bar. Occasionally, exceptions are made where a cast member goes above and beyond what could be expected. If you have to suggest a call back for a 'friend' chances are they did not meet everyones expectations. Not only will they ruin your credability, should the team call them back, chances are they will be knocked out next round.

There are of course cases where you think "Why the hell didn't xxx get called back", and you can do a little bit of nudging, like a quiet 'wow, that was brilliant', or a 'what did you think of him/her/it'.

When on the job, you are a stage manager, god in all but name, morally uncoruptable, pillar of society, unbiased and fair. Don't screw it up.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
call backs
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2005, 11:43 am »
I so rarely find myself in auditions.

I would limit any sort of suggestions regarding casting, other then - I know her, I have worked with him, etc, etc, but only if asked.

I would dred the dead I stated "Hire this actor", and then that actor turned out to be bad, not do the work, quit, be fired, etc, etc.  

Although, on the flip side, if I was outside the audition - at the end of the day - I might mention "So and So was extremely rude", etc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

giabow

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Call backs
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2005, 09:24 pm »
I find myself at auditions more often than I'd like.  I usually just make sure everyone has the correct sides, and keep track of who has read, who hasn't read and who needs to read with whom.  And I organize the paperwork - make sure the headshots are in order, etc.

I only suggest a friend if a director says "Hey, I need people to come to this audition, do you have any ideas?"

And I only make suggestions/comments if asked.  The comments I make are rarely ability-based.  If I have worked with someone before and they were unprofessional, I'll warn a director; "You may want to think twice about casting so-and-so: they're often late for rehearsal and rarely prepared."  Sometimes, if the person is talented enough, the director doesn't care.  But not often.