Author Topic: ASMS: Thoughts on ASMing  (Read 8006 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
ASMS: Thoughts on ASMing
« on: Nov 21, 2007, 02:27 pm »
To get a little extra money for the holidays, I've taken an ASM job at a (wonderfully snarky) Christmas show.  I haven't ASMed in over 9 years.

I'm actually really enjoying it.  Tech was a wonder, since I wasn't panicking over light, sound, SFX cues.  I was just keeping track of my props and costume changes, and keeping the actor's reasonably comfortable.  I certainly had plenty to do, but it wasn't nearly the usual barely controlled panic.

I can go DO things during rehearsal.  If the director needs a drink tray for a prop on the bar, I can get up and go to props and PULL ONE!  If a new costume piece is needed, I can go find one!  Things get done!

I enjoy the challenge and stress of a usual SM job, but I just wanted to tell everyone how very much I'm enjoying my 'holiday job,' and for a short, seasonal gig, the cut in pay was more than worth the cut in stress!
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 01:39 am by PSMKay »
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
Re: Thoughts on ASMing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2007, 03:30 pm »
Hi!  I can actually "hear" the fun in our post and the title, "Santaland Diaries," is hysterical!  I hope the show is a great success and continues to be a wonderful experience!

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2007, 12:38 pm »
We opened last night to a sold out house.  One small tech snafu, one piece of set falling off (leading to a brilliantly funny improptu line) and on small actor snafu.  Great audience response.

Not bad for a show thrown together in a week and a half!

Oh, and I got paid!   ;DThat always makes things happy.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

bradygonsalves

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:56 am »
Oh, and I got paid!   ;D

That's the best kind of theater! Congrats!
Member AEA since 1998.
Member Philadelphia Area Liaison Committee 2003-2006.

stageman7

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yale.edu/drama/index.html
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:35 pm »
 Hi Jessica-A holiday show-Cool! I do the same kind of thing three times a year for the Yale Opera-I leave my hallowed regular workplace and go cross-campus to be the second, or stage left, ASM. You are so right-the stress level is minimal and the reward is working a show where you have the luxury of watching the actors and maybe even appreciating the timing, sets and music (or speech) without being glued to the headset, video monitor and script at all times. Good luck, and when you return to being the "tank commander" on your next gig as the SM, I'm sure you'll do a first-rate job. -Rich A.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2007, 03:45 am »
I'm currently ASMing Santaland Diaries (at New Repertory Theatre in Watertown, MA) too!  It's such a great show to work on - very low-key, only one actor, hardly any props.  It's great to read about your experiences!

J

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007, 07:26 pm »
I find it to be incredibly valuable and important to be able to ASM and SM. They can be very different jobs and its great to have the knowledge of both. I go back and forth quite often...and honestly, I'm not sure which I prefer...I love doing both!

For a while, I was only SMing, and decided to pursue jobs where I was the assistant so that I could re-visit that part of the job. I'm so glad I did.

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2008, 03:19 am »
ASMing is actually amazing. I love being in on all the action on the floor during the performance. I've only ASMed 7 or 8 times because but every single experience was great!
Carrie

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2008, 04:22 am »
If you've been PSMing theatre for a while, and want to go back to ASMing, try a venture into the Opera World.  Rather different!  And you basically CAN'T PSM there until you've been an ASM for a while.  The ASM in opera does a heck of a lot more than a theatre one, what with constantly cueing the entrances, as well as just the shorter rehearsal time so people are more lost.  You better be able to read music though!

I like switching back and forth between ASM and PSM, as it constantly reminds me how to be better at the other position, and what's needed/expected of the two. 

Erin