Author Topic: RUNNING: ASMs running off a script  (Read 4206 times)

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Theat Troupe Theatre Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
RUNNING: ASMs running off a script
« on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:39 am »
During tech/performances, should ASMs run off their script or should they run off paperwork like runsheets and WWW's and such.

Any thoughts?

Edited to add topic tag. - Maribeth
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2013, 10:22 am by Maribeth »
"On the first day the lord said....Light cue 1, GO! Then there was light".

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: ASMs running off a script
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:14 am »
In general, I think it's easier to run off of a runsheet, but it depends on the show. A runsheet/runbook/WWW is more portable than hauling your script around, and if you need to cue something off a line, you can always include that cue line in your paperwork. As an ASM, I find that I spend most of tech making updates and changes to the runsheet anyway.

However, with an opera, since the ASMs generally cue every entrance, it's easier (in my opinion) to run out of your score. (If the score is too cumbersome you can always get it bound at a copy place.)

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
  • Experience: Professional
Re: RUNNING: ASMs running off a script
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:28 am »
I second Maribeth's comments.  For most plays if I'm the one backstage I use only my paperwork so that I can see a string of actions and the pertinent crew info, rather than limiting myself to a page of text.  I typically keep a copy of the script backstage if anyone needs to pursue it mid-show.  For operas I rely on my score and keep crew paperwork handy.

I'm curious why you asked and what methods you've tried before.  Are you looking ahead to your next project or just wondering in general?

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:36 pm »
I'm asking to find different approaches.

In the past I'd give a copy of all running sheets and my WWW to my ASMs. Prior and during Tech, I go over what information and notes to put in their script that would be crucial for the running of the show.  They end up using their script with notes of what they need to do, check and/or oversee.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2013, 09:48 pm »
In my experience the ASM was responsible for creating the running sheets throughout the rehearsal process rather than receiving them pre-completed from the SM. This generally resulted in the ASM knowing the backstage tracks far better by the time tech rolled around, and eliminated the need for them to use the script. Having the ASM on book during rehearsal also helped to ram the words into the ASM's head, frequently making the script double unnecessary. The enormous amount of notes required for a deck track generally won't fit in the margins of a script anyhow, especially not one that's small enough to tote around in a back pocket on an active track.

Now, bear in mind that I was not working IA houses so my ASM tracks were very hands on. A more stationary position might be better able to deal with a script in the wings.

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:44 pm »
Thank you for your input. I have been doing the running sheets primarily because ASMs are now being part of the process earlier than tech. We haven't had much interest in stage management in the past and most ASMs were put on the show to fulfill the hour requirement set by some classes. I provided them with helpful paperwork and notes to help run backstage.

With ASMs being part of the production as early as the first-rehearsal, and it being my job to oversee the stage management as a whole now; I think I will introduce the idea of Assistant Stage Managers to start putting together running sheets.

Do you have any recommendations to help start this process?

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:42 pm »
Thank you for your input. I have been doing the running sheets primarily because ASMs are now being part of the process earlier than tech. We haven't had much interest in stage management in the past and most ASMs were put on the show to fulfill the hour requirement set by some classes. I provided them with helpful paperwork and notes to help run backstage.

With ASMs being part of the production as early as the first-rehearsal, and it being my job to oversee the stage management as a whole now; I think I will introduce the idea of Assistant Stage Managers to start putting together running sheets.

Do you have any recommendations to help start this process?

I am a reluctant "toss them in the deep end" kind of person. I always hate it but I always find it works best for me to really understand how to do something. You may suggest they come here for ideas, suggestions and advice :). I find telling them they need to have all the information to run the deck and the crew during tech and run of show lights a fire. They will probably overdo it but better to be thorough at first anyway.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

riotous