Author Topic: Wrangling the Childrens Chorus  (Read 9044 times)

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
Wrangling the Childrens Chorus
« on: Nov 23, 2007, 05:06 pm »
I'm the PSM for a production that will use a fairly large children's chorus.  I have one inexperienced ASM who will have his hands full and as far as I know I don't have a kid wrangler, so I'm going to have to punt.

In the past, I have to admit that I haven't had much luck relating to a children's chorus . . .I know I can't expect them to be adults because they aren't.  I wanted to ask the network's advice on working with a large group of kids while also dealing with the rest of the things that we as stage manager's do. 

I wanted to ask them to bring something along to read or work on while they aren't onstage.  I also wanted some kind of very simple reward system (stickers, etc) for rehearsals, just for a little extra incentive.

Any thoughts or advice?

"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

lauria

• Link Checker Supreme!
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Wrangling the Childrens Chorus
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2007, 05:42 pm »
I was an assistant dance instructor for three to five year olds and a sticker system was great for us. These children are probably a bit older, but I think it would still work. We got a bunch of different stickers (sometimes themed - week before Halloween pumpkins, Valentine's day hearts etc...) and if the children were good at the end of class they got a sticker. (It was very rare that we revoked sticker priveleges) Mostly those stickers went on their dance bags.

I know that the kids really had pride in the stickers because I REMEMBER being GIVEN stickers when I was their age at the same dance studio! :P I felt VERY cool having stickers on my dance bag.

Maybe on closing night they could get a specific reward for the number of stickers they got. If they get 5+ stickers they get a piece of candy, 10+ they get a small toy, 15+ a coloring book, etc...

For the dance recitals we would have all the assistants just deal with kids and parents were very good about getting their kid backstage to the right teacher, but that's not very helpful since you don't have kid wranglers. You may find that if you send a note home you may get some volunteers of parents to help wrangle at least for performance.

Midnight Blue

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2007, 06:11 pm »
Definitely ask them to bring something QUIET to do...homework, quiet games, knitting, coloring books, and so on. If they will not be required to be onstage for extended periods, have a rehearsal hall or other seperate room where they can blow off steam and be a little louder.

Give them a talk outlining your expectations for them...to be quiet, to listen to you and other pertinent adults, to walk, not run, in the theater, to stay in their seats, and so on.

Bring your patience. And sense of humor. Talk to them. If they have a conversation with you about school, music, whatever, you become more of a person to them rather than just "that adult we have to listen to."

I have used parent volunteers with great success. We make it mandatory for each child's parent, guardian, or even older brother/sister (over 18 and pre-approved) to take a shift watching over the holding room. A shift is typically from call time for a certain rehearsal or performance, to the time the show is over. It's maybe a three-hour commitment, total. If you have a large chorus, and everyone's parent goes once, you have at least a couple of weeks covered.

There will be parents who are unable to make it because of work, or other legitimate reasons, and you may have some uncooperative parents who refuse to sign on. But there are usually a few parents who are eager to take on more shifts than one. We usually offer 2 comps for each shift worked (with approval of house management), which makes parents very happy.

Their only duty is to shush the kids if they get too rowdy, and generally be available for the kids if they need small things. The volunteers are not expected to teach or entertain the kids. The kids bring their own entertainment.

As for incentive, if they are mature in attitude, the privilege of performing provides its own reward. I have never used an incentive system because it is one more thing to keep track of, along with cues, reports, etc. The rewards can get very expensive, and parents may not approve of sugary candy or stickers that may migrate to furniture. It also is easy to guess what may motivate a kid, but when you offer it to them, they may not be motivated by it at all. I have had many kids with a surprisingly professional atttitude who need no incentive to behave themselves.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2007, 12:35 am »
Definitely ask them to bring something QUIET to do...homework, quiet games, knitting
Let's emphasize the activities that don't involve sharp objects.
You get together a set of knitting needles and a set of 10 year old boys, things can get ugly quick.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2007, 04:47 pm »
You may find the suggestions in this thread helpful:

"How to keep kids *quietly* busy at rehearsal when they're not needed onstage?"
http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,1452.0.html
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

Midnight Blue

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2007, 02:41 pm »
Just offering the knitting as an example. What works really depends on cast chemistry. I worked with a chorus of kids who were VERY intrigued with knitting. Nothing kept that group of 20+ girls quieter. The ones who knew how taught the others. I wouldn't doubt that some boys could get interested, too. We just didn't have any in that show.

And even a pencil is (hopefully) a sharp object.