Author Topic: The Magic Flute: Recordings?  (Read 4738 times)

JECSM

• New to Town
  • "IMPOSSIBLE? WE'RE DOING IT!"
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: TTS at DePaul: Intimate Apparel, The Death of Gaia Divine
  • Experience: College/Graduate
The Magic Flute: Recordings?
« on: Apr 02, 2010, 06:30 pm »
Hey everyone! I'll be SMing The Magic Flute this summer and wanted to start familiarizing myself with the music--and am now totally freaked by the number of different recordings/opinions on them. Looking for a recording that has all the music and includes English translations in the liner notes. It'd also be cool if it doesn't cost $60. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: The Magic Flute: Recordings?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2010, 09:41 pm »
I have a box set from Telarc of Sir Charles Mackerras conducting Flute, Cosi, Don Giovanni, and Figaro in their entirety.  I believe however you can buy them individually as well.  They're good recordings, I listen to them regularly.

BlantonRK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Glimmerglass Opera
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2010, 01:23 am »
Try the book/CD combo put out by Black Dog & Leventhal as part of the Black Dog Opera Library. It has the libretto and a lot of easy to read information on the opera, perfect for someone new to opera. The CDs are a classic 1972 recording featuring Edda Moser as The Queen of the Night and the great Kurt Moll as Sorastro. The ISBN is 1884822827, and you should be able to find a used copy on the Internet in the $6-$12 range.

Although that would be my first choice for you, a set of used CDs could be had very cheaply from any number of online sources (most will also have a booklet with a translation) and several websites have free, easy to download opera libretti.

JECSM

• New to Town
  • "IMPOSSIBLE? WE'RE DOING IT!"
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: TTS at DePaul: Intimate Apparel, The Death of Gaia Divine
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:19 pm »
Thanks so much for the recommendations--I went with the Black Dog recording and it's everything I was looking for! I knew this would be a great place to go for this.  :)