Author Topic: SMing on a Cruise Ship  (Read 3643 times)

hilarysm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
SMing on a Cruise Ship
« on: Aug 08, 2011, 10:20 pm »
Hello!!

I was recently hired by Carnival Cruise Line to be the new stage manager on one of their ships, and I am just looking for tips! 

Any and all would be appreciated!  Thanks!

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: SMing on a Cruise Ship
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2011, 02:17 am »
I started to do a copy/paste but there are too many threads that cover this topic - if you search the term "cruise," a slew of references will pop up from the various folks on this board who work on cruise ships, including a lot of tips and hints and info. Give it a go - and congrats on the job!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2011, 09:15 am »
Are there any specific areas or subjects for which you're looking for tips?  There are several folks on here who have or still do work on ships and will be more than happy to help. 

I would say one of the biggest tips is to not be surprised by all of the "extra" stuff you will be required to do.  I am not sure about Carnival specifically but in general you will be part of emergency drills, lifeboat teams, you'll have a lot of the corporate training to go through (ethics, sexual harassment, don't hook up with passengers, etc...), and there will be a lot of other events scheduled in your performance spaces (bingo, shopping lectures, karaoke [vomit], etc...).  Just remember that you are one part of a large floating hotel and the ship's operation does not revolve around performances.  That is the biggest difference from traditional land based theaters. 

Safe travels and happy sailing. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

hilarysm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2011, 05:48 pm »
Thanks for the tips so far.  I have seen the other threads, but most of what I have seen have been about how to get a job SMing on a cruise ship, not actually SMing on a cruise ship.  And yes, I do know that I will have other responsibilities onboard, I understand that I am part of the Carnival team, and that this isn't a traditional space and its more entertainment stage management rather than theatre stage management, but that is defiantly an avenue I have been wanted to open the door to.

riotous