Author Topic: Short-term, non-traditional stage events  (Read 3352 times)

mkristinect

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: TPS
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Short-term, non-traditional stage events
« on: Jun 05, 2015, 01:47 pm »
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been addressed already.  I prowled through the forum and didn't find anything as dumbed down as I need.  :)  I'm wondering about stage events like public readings, one-man shows, vaudeville, that sort of thing.  The sort of small, mostly low-tech events where you would not be involved in any sort of rehearsal process and have few, if any, technical or design elements to facilitate.

What is your role during this type of production?

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Short-term, non-traditional stage events
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2015, 01:23 pm »
It really depends on the production, and what the needs are of the company/person hiring you.

It could be fairly similar to a more traditional play, just with fewer cues. It could be presetting props, and then being the person who communicates with the HM throughout the evening. Sometimes it's just making sure that all of the physical needs of the production are being met- are there enough music stands, do we have pencils, where's the bathroom/water fountain, etc.

Sometimes it's just being there, documenting curtain up/curtain down times, making sure that the performers show up, and that the building doesn't burn down. :)

But honestly, I think it's a great question to ask during an interview for a position like this. "What are your expectations for the stage manager?"

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Short-term, non-traditional stage events
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2015, 01:48 am »
I had a friend who did a vaudeville tour for a few summers. One of her duties was to "dispose" of the leftover champagne after the juggling finale was done. Such a terrible job. ;)
In NYC half the time they really just need you to act as the fire guard, which is something you need for public performances. I agree with Maribeth- just ask them what they're really after. Every short-term gig I've had varies wildly.

riotous