Author Topic: Professional Ballet or Dance Company Shadow  (Read 5538 times)

EzBrEzPSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Professional Ballet or Dance Company Shadow
« on: Jun 26, 2013, 04:50 pm »
I'm looking for someone who is or could refer me to; the stage manager of a professional ballet or dance company that I could shadow for a week or two. My background is in stage managing theatre but my current and hopefully long term position is the stage manager/production manager/company manager of a small professional ballet company. I would love to have the opportunity to see how a seasoned professional dance stage manager and their medium to large sized professional dance or ballet company transitions from the studio to the stage as well as see what type of paperwork I'm missing from my templates or that I'm using that is not necessary for dance management. I'm trying to plan this shadowing for October or for sometime in the 2014-15 season. Because I've only been in the professional realm for a year I am not sure about the proper protocol for approaching other companies about this possibility. I'm not sure how normal or out of the box this type of request is, so any input on the topic is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
Re: Professional Ballet or Dance Company Shadow
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2013, 10:18 pm »
What regional area are you looking to shadow in?

BayAreaSM

• View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2013, 01:50 am »
Are you looking to travel to observe someone? Narrowing down an area can help us give you a better answer.

EzBrEzPSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2013, 04:25 pm »
I'm located in Arkansas, but I am not opposed to traveling. For me, it is more important that I shadow at a well established dance company that has a tested and refined format to transitioning from rehearsal to stage and then from stage to tour, that I can observe and learn from. Sorry if this is still really vague, I guess if I was forced to say where I would like to shadow, it would be in the Midwest, but I do not want to limit my options by saying that either.

Thanks so much for responding!

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2013, 05:07 pm »
My brother is a ballet dancer on the East Coast, but is currently working at a summer camp with the Kansas City Ballet. I'll check if he knows who to contact out there. I can PM you information if he has any.

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2013, 12:30 pm »
I think it's great that you're looking to expand your understanding in this area.  However, since you're open to traveling I'd recommend searching for companies within your acceptable travel range and approaching them directly.  Or if you really want an introduction rather than sending cold emails, search the BTDT feature to match folks on this site who have worked for the companies near you.  That may get you results faster.  Good luck and happy shadowing!