Author Topic: Otello, Turn of the Screw, Tosca...tips or memorable moments anyone?  (Read 6960 times)

sevon

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever done these operas? I might be working on them next season.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
I did Otello about 4 years ago.

LisaEllis

Otello...be sure not to pronouce it "Othello" with the h.

Screw...it's Brittan.

Tosca...she jumps.

Pretty depressing season, I'd say...

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
OMG we did a Tosca where the diva would not jump.
Couldn't wouldn't didn't.
Until opening night, when she flung herself farther than anyone expected and it was all the stagehand could do to drag the matress over to catch her.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
These will all be pretty SM-friendly operas, I think.
Otello and Tosca will be the easier ones here, since they are such standards.
But I love love love Turn of the Screw.

All of these can go with either a really high level of production (automation, projections, big sets, huge choruses for Otello and Tosca - oh, there are kids in Tosca), or they can be pretty simple. Check with the PM what your shows will be like.

With any luck, you'll enjoy some amazing singing in all of these. The Tosca-Scarpia scene is always a joy to stage. Try, if you can, to be sure he doesn't get too rough with her - usually they'll be okay in rehearsal but in the excitement of performance, I've known ladies to find themselves bruised after Act II.

Midnight Blue

• New to Town
    • View Profile
I've heard of a Tosca who would not jump, but insisted on a "stunt double" for just that short moment. For some reason, a female could not be found to perform the jump, so it was done by a man. In a dress.

Not exactly a "double." The switch was fairly obvious. Ah, willing suspension of disbelief....

riotous