Author Topic: Operations Manager job...need answers fast!  (Read 4764 times)

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Operations Manager job...need answers fast!
« on: Jul 11, 2010, 10:50 am »
I found out Friday night that I'll be going to my final interview for Operations Manager for the Charlotte Symphony on Monday morning. This is my chance to combine my stage management experience with my office administration experience - and to finally make the move to full-time employment at an arts organization.

During my first interview the Director of Operations seemed most interested in my stage management experience and he had no question that I could handle the administrative side (thanks to a well-worded recommendation from my last director). However, since the Symphony works with the opera as well as musicians, I'm trying to find union rules for running rehearsals and performances for both but I'm having no luck. Anyone know where I can find them? I've looked at their 'official' websites but I haven't found anything.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Operations Manager job...need answers fast!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2010, 11:56 am »
Does the opera company use an AGMA contract? If so, if you look on the AGMA website (www.muscialartists.org), on the left hand side, click "Agreements", then "Opera", and then the individual agreements will appear as pdfs. It's slightly different than the AEA website- the agreements are specific to the company.

Good luck!

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2010, 12:58 pm »
I didn't see the opera company listed on the site, but I know for a fact they're union. I'm still searching...

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2010, 01:18 pm »
each opera company is different, so you might ask them for a copy of the current contract - but look at any other to get a sense of how things work and whose rules trump (ie is your house crew IA?) -

billykano

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2010, 01:32 pm »
the opera company might be under AGMA for singers, but check to see if the symphony is part of AFM as they might have slightly different rules regarding hours/breaks, etc.

BlantonRK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Glimmerglass Opera
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:43 am »
If you're working for the Symphony then the rules you need to be concerned about are those for your people - the musicians. Check their AFM contract. The AFM rules will be in force at ALL orchestra services regardless of whether they are playing the opera, ballet or their own classics or pops series. There may be separate provisions for playing each of these types of services, but those will be spelled out in the AFM contract.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2010, 04:26 pm »
Thank you all for the information. Unfortunately after three interviews I came in 2nd. Again! And the search continues...

riotous