Author Topic: Looking for tips on Ice Shows  (Read 4616 times)

austingresh

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Austin's Website
  • Affiliations: Santa Fe College, University of Florida, Wayne State University
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager / Instructor at Santa Fe College
  • Experience: Professional
Looking for tips on Ice Shows
« on: Feb 21, 2011, 05:21 pm »
I just got a summer gig SMing an ice show for a theme park and was looking for advice from anyone with experience working that kind of show.  Things to look for, anticipate, look out for, think about, plan,...
Thanks
Austin Gresham
newbielink:http://www.austingresham.com [nonactive]

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Looking for tips on Ice Shows
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:58 am »
Get some of those specialized shoe cleats for walking on ice.  I've had many slip and falls working as a local stagehand on ice shows!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2011, 12:31 am »
I guess the main one is to talk to your skaters. They will be able to tell you (after they have warmed up) how the ice is handling on that particular day. Generally, skaters like the ice slightly softer than ice hockey players and general access skating rinks. Get to know your chief Reefer (Refridgeration engineer) - If you get along well with them, your skaters will really appreciate it.

Find out if you are expected to assist in ice maintenance.

As far as ice crampons and cleats, they tend to wreck the surface of the ice, instead, double sided gaffer tape and an old credit card - stick it to the sole of your shoes, embossed side down. Always worked for me. No matter what you have on your feet, nothing will help you gain traction on freshly lain ice.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2011, 12:33 am by Mac Calder »

BayAreaSM

• View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:22 am »
My previous PSM used to call ice shows for Kristi Yamaguchi. The main thing he did was call spots. He would tell me funny stories about calling the spots, as they are grouped together in teams, giving each team a specific name. The other thing he would do is he would sometimes have to call "pin spot" if any discarded items were to hit the ice, so that the skaters were aware and could adjust to avoid them. This caused him to sometimes have to regroup his spots on the fly, so that everyone who needed coverage had it.

I wish I had more information, but I hope this helps a little bit.

riotous