Author Topic: Just SMed my first fashion show  (Read 5636 times)

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Just SMed my first fashion show
« on: Sep 29, 2006, 07:30 pm »
Oh my!

What made this more difficult - other than being my first fashion show - was that it was also the producers' first fashion show.  And since one was the partner of a very good friend of mine (and why I was asked to do it), at least I didn't have as much need to make sure the client got exactly what they wanted....they simply didn't really know, and I was able to have a few "no, you can't have that" or "I need you to make a decision - NOW!" moments, as well as just make some artistic decisions on my own.

It was the first time I have called a show completely off a computer...things were changing so much right up to the last moment, there really was no other way.  I had some rough cues typed into an Excel document before I got to the venue that day, based on a very rough rundown list I'd received (trust me, I'd tried to get more info)...but quite a bit changed throughout the day, even the number of looks the models would be wearing, and what exactly would go on onstage after the fashion show.  I also now know a lot better (and so do the new producers) of what things we need to know better ahead of time.  Our biggest issue during the event (which we tried to fix at rehearsal but didn't really have time) was timing the models both with music and how long it would take to change to the next look.  And though my friend from the very beginning had told me I'd have one person on headset each side of the stage, I still was trying to locate a 2nd person up until about 15 minutes before the rehearsal.  And then they wanted to switch volunteers on me for the actual show, and I put my foot down and said I was keeping the same one.  (It was a benefit fashion show, hence the volunteers.)

One nice thing is that everyone seemed to think I did a good job.  I relied on the "team spirit" thing and when I could without sounding too stupid asked the A/V crew who'd done these kind of things before for help/advice, especially on ways to combine music and voiceover ideas the client had, but really didn't have good ideas of how to make happen.  And I tried to keep the crew as up-to-date as I could.  Both the woman who ran the venue and the A/V staff asked me for my business cards, and this looks like it could add to more freelance in the future.  A few hours craziness, but might be a nice addition to my workload every so often.  Keep me on my toes!  And said friend who got me the job...when I saw him at the afterparty immediately started to get on his knees and said "don't make me grovel!".  Hee.  ;D

I'd shadowed on an industrial before, so at least I had that experience going in...and of course the joy of live theatre where "anything can happen"!  And luckily I've worked on quite a few "big shows"...for this venue I was calling powerpoint, lights, sound (music/voiceover/live mic), strobes, and every single model entrance...

Erin

IvoryWonder

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Just SMed my first fashion show
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2006, 01:08 am »
Wow! Sounds like you've had your work cut out for you! You sound like you did a fabulous job! Great job and concrats on the freelance thing. Hope it all goes well for you!

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2006, 06:30 pm »
Yippee for you! I'm glad to hear it was successful!

The ballet's annual fashion show is in 4 weeks- It's always fun to see if I can keep up!

It's a thrill ride for sure!

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2006, 09:42 am »
Congrats! I'm glad that it all worked out well for you.