Author Topic: First time on a devised show  (Read 7367 times)

Tiffany Lyn

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager - The F Word
  • Experience: College/Graduate
First time on a devised show
« on: Aug 29, 2011, 06:58 pm »
Hello all  :)

I am working on a devised show currently -- we're in pre production now... which is mostly just logistics, since there's not a script to go off of, obviously. This is the first time I have ever been a part of devised theatre and was wondering if any of you have advice or tips for going into the rehearsal process? If you have worked on a devised show, what sort of things did you do to prepare for rehearsals? Or while in rehearsals? I imagine that once the script is created, rehearsals become more similar to a standard theatre production... but what do I do until then??

Any advice or help at all is more than welcome.

Thank you all a thousand times!
- Tiffany Lyn
tiff.meadows@gmail.com

"Plan your work, work your plan" - Gene Columbus

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
Re: First time on a devised show
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2011, 12:52 am »
I can write more on this later - but my first question is, is there a script supervisor?

the devised theatre I've worked on - in the early stages of devising I have always held the role as script supervisor - in the end, it makes my job as stage manager to have script control from jump. 

you are right that once a script is in place it becomes more like a standard process - at which point you'll want to have an intern, PA, or assistant dedicated to maintaining the script (as it will continue to change through opening) so you can focus on other things. 

happy to talk with you more about this as I LOVE working on devised theatre...but on a night that is not the night before first rehearsal.  =)
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2011, 02:23 am »
agree w BalletPSM - when I've done originals that are developed in process, most of the early reh is taking notes, and making sure props that get discussed arrive (most of them will go away, but it helps to have something to play with in the meantime). I track stuff and get a sense of the work, and there will be a day with an AHA moment for you, where you see the piece as a whole (or at least where it wants to go) and you will be able to start doing the more traditional paperwork for blocking, lines, props, set, costumes etc

Part of the SM's challenge is to be willing to give up control, esp for that first part where it's all exploration. Allow the room and space to happen and the shape will appear before you in its time (esoteric, but it will make sense once you've experienced it).
Have a blast, you are part of an exhilarating process. 

And - don't forget to have fun!

break legs

Tiffany Lyn

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2011, 05:23 pm »
Thanks so much to both of you! This is all really good and helpful information. Everything you've said is very similar to what I've imagined my duties would be like; but I feel much better asking and getting the advice than I would blindly walking into a rehearsal, thinking I know what I'm in for, and be completely thrown off my game.

Again, a thousand times thanks :)
- Tiffany Lyn
tiff.meadows@gmail.com

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2011, 08:03 pm »
One thing I found helpful is to develop a skeleton of absolutes...if you can get a sequence that MUST happen a certain way, props that must be incorporated, even just "actor a needs to be here by this point" etc...and a "storyline" as much as you can. I basically like to get any sort of structure I can get from the beginning. :)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2011, 10:04 pm »
Yes, you need a timeline when things are locked (well, more or less). Script, props, basic blocking all need to be fixed at some point so lights/sets/costumes can do their work in a timely manner. Even tho things will change in tech, even tho things will change up to opening (and, sometimes, past), you need a series of dates when you accept specific aspects of the structure, like the order of scenes, the scenes themselves, key props, which won't change again past that point (barring a massive epiphany and a cancelled performance to use the time for rehearsal by the director). And you need to get drop deads from your designer/dept heads to know when those need to be set, then back it up a few days so you have a cushion.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2011, 07:39 pm by loebtmc »

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2011, 03:02 am »
My best advice for a devised piece:

TRUST THE PROCESS. 

You have to, have to, have to be flexible and trust the process to carry you through.  As a stage manager you can have an incredibly influential and formulative role in how this process is carried out, but if you don't trust it, then you will only end up fighting with everyone and it will not be a pleasant experience for anyone.  So trust the process and realize that you are providing vital shape and structure but need to do so in a spirit of fluidity and flexibility. =)

And have so much fun!  I love devised theatre.
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

Tiffany Lyn

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2011, 03:59 pm »
Thanks so much! We had our first meeting last night with (almost) the entire team -- I haven't been this excited to start in on a show in a long time. Your advice has definitely helped :)
- Tiffany Lyn
tiff.meadows@gmail.com