Author Topic: Education Department Websites?  (Read 5290 times)

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Education Department Websites?
« on: Oct 22, 2006, 06:21 pm »
Okay, I really don't know which forum I should post this in, so since I'm doing it for an opera company I stuck it here.  Moderators, feel free to move it if you've got somewhere better...

So, I've recently been "promoted" (at least in title and number of hours I can work at my part-time hourly job) to Production Manager/Stage Manager for the Educational Department where I've already been stage managing.  One of my new duties is to try to figure out how to jazz up our area of the website.  (And, no, not necessarily a typical Prod Mgr duty either, but hey, I'm the most computer literate of us and most flexible schedule.)  So I've been asked to poke around other companies' sites and get a feel for what "works" and what doesn't.  I'm not asking you guys to DO all my work for me, but if anyone has suggestions of really good example websites let me know.  Then again, I guess bad ones, too, so I know what to steer away from doing for ourselves.

I'm wondering what would be good for content.  We plan on putting of course descriptions of each of the shows we tour, and making their study guides available for download.  (I've been working on those today, and converting to pdf.)

Thanks for any help/advice/direction,
Erin

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Education Department Websites?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2006, 07:57 pm »
Congrats on the promotion!

Check out the National Players' website.   They are the classical touring company associated with Olney Theatre Center for the Arts, and are a part of our educational department as they tour to schools across the country.  They do workshops for students and also have study guides that go with the shows that they've got on the road. 

Our education department is expanding, and the Olney Theatre Institute website should be up and running soon (there will be a link on the NP website, but it's not active yet). 

Hope the link is helpful :)!

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Education Department Websites?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2006, 05:33 pm »
Check out the Theatrical Education Group site.  I SMed for them for a while.  http://www.theatricaleducationgroup.com/index2.html
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein