Author Topic: Dance First Aid  (Read 10894 times)

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
Dance First Aid
« on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:04 pm »
Hi everyone!

I've been asked to spec a first aid kit for a dance show (all male). I've already said the list below:

Ice packs
Deep heat
Blister plasters
Compression bandages
Triangular bandages
Plasters/Band-Aids (plus hypoallergenic if necessary)

Can anyone think of other things to add in?

Thanks,
C

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
Re: Dance First Aid
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:08 pm »
My brother is a ballet dancer and he swears by this stuff called Tiger Balm. I'm not 100% sure what it is, but he loves it for his muscles.

In general, dancers seem pretty prepared to have the special stuff for their feet, so I would be prepared with things for bigger incidents (some basic splints, ace bandages, medical tape and gauze).

As they say in dance- Merde!

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2013, 12:37 am »
Tiger Balm is basically a variation on Icy-Hot and other similar ointments.  Basically a lot of menthol and camphor in a petroleum and paraffin base.  It's comforting, but not really an actual item I would consider necessary for a backstage first aid kit.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2013, 09:29 am »
If your company can afford it, buy Elastoplast.  It's kind of like a mix between an ace bandage and tape.  Dancers use it all the time!

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2013, 11:28 am »
In addition to your current list I would add more Band-Aids than you think you could ever need (they use a ton of them!) and some sort of antibiotic ointment (like Neosporin).  Also some sort of liquid bandage since dancers get a lot of floor burns, and alcohol wipes.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013, 03:21 pm by ScooterSM »
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2013, 02:26 pm »
When I was a gymnast we swore by pro wrap- a stretchy, foam-like tape for holding ankles etc in place.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

BayAreaSM

• View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:22 pm »
Great topic, Chris!

Here are some items that I have on hand at the ballet:

While it won't fit in a kit, have a set of crutches on hand, if at all possible. Advil is a must, or the caffeine laced Pain-Aid.

Also, you need to have some training to use it, as we have a staff Physical Therapist who applies it: Kinesio Tape (brand name: Rock Tape). You can get connected to some via rocktape.com

It comes in a variety of colors, so it should be easy to find something that matches the dancer's skin tone, or at least something light enough to not show through tights/leggings. A lot of my dancers are using it lately and it really helps (men & women). Be aware that it can be pricey. We were able to get ours donated. It's worth a shot to ask a local doctor/distributor if they'd be willing to do that for you.

You've listed ice packs: it is helpful to have something to tie the ice pack to the dancer's body. Many of my dancers just use a spare legwarmer, but if you can have a few washable ace wraps on hand, that would be great. And it is generally better to use real ice in a ziploc instead of those instant ice packs or gel packs. (Though they are great to have in case of emergency.) You should not apply the ice pack directly to the skin - so have some scrap muslin or other cheap fabric in your kit, to use as a barrier between the ice and the dancer.

I'd also recommend all of the other basic items you'd carry in a regular SM Medical kit. To pare it down to what my dancers use most: other forms of pain pills, (in case any of your dancers have allergies to Ibuprofen), antacids, eye drops, and cough drops.

And have gloves for yourself and alcohol wipes, as you may be helping clean up blood. Many male dancers, when landing, tend to either bleed from the knee or the top of their feet.

Merde!

ambrosialx

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Ambrosia LX and Design Portfolio
  • Affiliations: University of Guelph
  • Current Gig: Production Manager- Roseneath Theatre
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2013, 09:54 pm »
When I was a gymnast we swore by pro wrap- a stretchy, foam-like tape for holding ankles etc in place.

Pro wrap is great for taping up men as you can tape over it and not pull out sensitive body hair upon removal! Research your athletic tape selection if you can, there are brands with better stretch (as a former wrestler i can attest sometimes taping a joint without the right tape does more harm than good!) in case a more mobile joint needs taping! also have a lighter in your first aid dancers a lot of times will burn bandages to their feet to keep them adhered!
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come"

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2013, 02:07 pm »
Agreed on tiger balm or similar item

Single use liquid bandage sticks - magical for foot splits and whatnot

Manicure kit & alcohol wipes - may seem kinda yucky and personal put having manicure scissors, nail clipper, tweezers all in one handy kit will come in handy for the one dancer who forgets their stuff or needs them. Also if you buy a quality set they're more likely to stand up to daily sanitizing.

Ibuprofen - buy the economy size. Some dancers pop it like candy.

Not quite first aid but a few things that may make you the favorite backstage:
- tennis balls (for working out muscles and feet)
- small sewing kit (especially if they're wearing ballet slippers that need constant mending)
- tissues or hand towels, also a large garbage can on each side of the stage for the spitting/etc folk... (it happens..haha)
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

SMAshlee

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Porchlight Music Theatre
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2013, 03:35 pm »

Ibuprofen - buy the economy size. Some dancers pop it like candy.

Be aware of your states laws about providing pain relievers. It can be a sticky situation. I think there was a recent discussion about this but I'm drawing a blank as to what board it was on.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2013, 10:59 am »
Peanut butter, or any calorie-dense nut butter, and honey.

I know it's not technically first aid, but a two-ish hour dance performance is an endurance event. Having fast, easy-to-digest calories (and plastic spoons, so everyone can have a quick mouthful without sharing germs)  will be very helpful, especially on longer rehearsal days. The dancers I've worked with are great about bringing enough fuel for themselves, but if someone is really lagging or forgot their lunch on the kitchen counter, this will keep their sugar up to get to the meal break.

BayAreaSM

• View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2013, 01:17 pm »
I will say that open PB or a jar (or even a squeeze bottle) of honey may be a bit dangerous (and sticky) for costumes. Our ballet company has always provided a candy drawer in my console. While they are individually wrapped, which helps with the community open jar issue, candy can still stain and be sticky.

I do remember during Swan Lake my swan ladies requesting sour gummies to help them get through the 4th act, which we provided. The other downside to providing candy is sometimes the dancers make it their meal - coming to my console prior to warm up grabbing handfuls of candy, leaving just hard candies behind.

I would recommend having it handy, as it is necessary to have a quick pick me up during a fast paced show or rep program, but dancers have to be responsible to not get it on their costumes and not treat the candy as their main source of nourishment.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2013, 02:16 pm »
The mighty banana is great for these purposes.  Cheap, clean, portable, eat it with your hands - not to mention how loaded it is with energy.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

jrbucci

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
  • Affiliations: Point Park University
  • Current Gig: BFA in Stage Management @ Point Park University & Production Manager: Hula Lou Theatre Project
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2013, 04:21 pm »
Also keeping a bottle of isopropyl alcohol on hand. I've often had dancers prefer that to a simple alcohol wipe. It's also really handy for cleanup of blood. Use it with gauze (on people) or scrap fabric/rag (cleanup).

Side-note:
I once knew a dancer who would soak her pointe shoes in the stuff to stop her feet from bleeding onstage. She said it was painful but very effective...