Author Topic: Would someone be willing to help me with my resume?  (Read 7698 times)

Jess

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jessdoestheatre.com
Would someone be willing to help me with my resume?
« on: Jan 16, 2005, 01:45 pm »
Hi there! I graduated from a Production program last year and am just now starting to look for work for summer 2005. I've got some experience but am having trouble with my resume/cover letter. Would anyone out there who has experience actually getting jobs via resumes and cover letters be willing to e-mail with me and have a look at mine???

You can e-mail me at jessinedmonton@hotmail.com. I would GREATLY appreciate the help! Really, I would!

Thanks so much!

JESSICA  :D

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2005, 11:54 pm »
I've already emailed Jessica privately, but for anyone starting a new resume.....there are a ton of ideas out there of how to arrange your resume, whether to put dates or not, listing references or not, etc....

In my opinion, some of the most important things are:
a) make it easy to read, whatever format you choose
b) keep it to one page if at all possible (though I actually put my references on a 2nd page)
c) definitely proof everything for spelling and grammatical errors
d) put some effort into your cover letter to show you've sought information out for the specific job and/or theatre you're applying for.  These days almost every theatre has a website.  Take a moment to poke around it, and pull some of that into your cover letter.  They love the extra effort you've taken if you mention something about their theatre that wasn't just in their ad.
e) I would also recommend saying where you found the ad, so they know which publication, etc that they're getting responses from.

Erin

rjstevens

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/beliza21
resume...
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2005, 10:50 pm »
I have a one page resume that I send out, really basic.  I do everything chronologically, but only include the shows that I feel have shown off my abilities or that are really great eye catchers (either the show or the theater).  I mix up my ASM and SM work, but try to keep it balanced.
The big thing I do is add a link to my website, which serves a my entire resume.  It includes all my shows as well as all my other work, both theatrical and non.  Ever call/e-mail I've gotten back from a potential job has taken the time to look over my resume online.  
hope it goes well...
Rebecca

lejenna

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: resume...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2005, 02:15 pm »
Quote from: "rjstevens"
I have a one page resume that I send out, really basic...The big thing I do is add a link to my website, which serves a my entire resume...Ever call/e-mail I've gotten back from a potential job has takn the time to look over my resume online.

I'm so glad that you've come up with this idea- it's a great one.

I was actually going to recommend that you can send in a detailed resumee, but always include a one-page summary that goes on top covering the major points.  

(I've spoken with interviewers about what they look for in a resume, and they have all said that they dont' go past the first page.  If you include a summary they will just read that, and be incredibly grateful to you for not making them go through the rest of it to find out the important bits.  )

But using a website link is a great way to streamline the process even further.  Hooray for the ethical application of technology!

Jess

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jessdoestheatre.com
Public THANK YOU!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2005, 04:58 pm »
I just want to publically thank both Erin and Elizabeth...two great SMs who helped me with my resume and therefore helped me get an Apprentice Stage Manager job that starts in 2 weeks!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Jessica

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2005, 05:22 pm »
I just want to publically thank both Erin and Elizabeth...two great SMs who helped me with my resume and therefore helped me get an Apprentice Stage Manager job that starts in 2 weeks!!!!

YAYYYYYYY!!!!  :lol:

Glad I could help.  Now send the good karma my way!  Hee.

Erin

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
sounds easy, but
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2005, 10:02 pm »
c) definitely proof everything for spelling and grammatical errors

This may sound like a no-brainer, but the theatre I work for was recently doing a hunt for a new sound guy.  The PM got one resume that was so gramatically incorrect, had so many mispellings, and was so generally awful that he thought it was a joke.  Because the presentation was so poor, when he looked at the credits, which seemed impressive, he didn't believe them.  Now that was an extreme case, not only had that person not spell-checked, it looked like they had never even visually looked at it before sending it.  But, first impression is what counts.  Neat, organized, easy to read.

-Centaura

nook

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2005, 01:48 pm »
hey.

so, I'm really green here and am trying to find work.  I would love it if someone was willing to take an "outsider's" look at my stuff and give me any pointers.  I'd be really grateful.  I'm confident that my stuff looks okay, but any advice would be warrented, especially from people that are in positions to hire folks.

my e-mail is jrnook@wisc.edu.

my concern is that my resume isn't beefy enough, I got into SMing late into college and just don't have the number of shows that I've seen on the resume's posted here (even from people in my age/experience range)

anything anyone could offer would be great.

thanks,

jon