Author Topic: Wireless Headsets  (Read 3955 times)

ESM_John

Wireless Headsets
« on: Jun 29, 2006, 09:35 pm »
Hey Guys,

At my school im pretty used to simple Telex wired headsets and packs and that "Dog on a leash" effect you get when you happen to be needed in a space other that that 5 x 5 area you call home for a show.  So yesterday when i went to go see my friend at another theatre, i noticed she had a really nice Wireless pack connected to a nice headset. The headset was a very lightweight low profile Plantonics one with the clear tube mic which i liked a lot but i couldnt seem to find how i would go about getting a wireless pack. Does the theatre need to have a reciever for it, i know thats how it all works, but do i need to buy like a whole station of can i get an individual reciever for me only? Any good websites?

Thanks guys. Usually i'm pretty technical but i came up empty on this one.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2006, 10:28 pm by ESM_John »

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Wireless Headsets
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2006, 05:08 am »
Decent wireless cans are not cheap. What you are after is these.

You see, most 'radios' people use are half-duplex. That means that you either talk, or you listen. You cannot do both. This sort of technology is not overly expensive. However, what we need as SMs is called full-duplex, which I am sure you can guess, is two way. You can talk and listen and it costs more than twice the price. There is a very simple reason why full-duplex is considered a 'necessity' in most theatres, and that is safety. Being a student at a school that may not matter too much to you as chances are you will have a teacher on hand to deal with those sorts of things.  If you are really worried about needing to move great distances, get yourself a REALLY long mic lead - clearcom/telex/techpro compatible cans systems all use your standard 3 pin XLR cables. You can buy 20M for about (AU)$25 or so.

a 20m cable will give you more than enough freedom. The rest is learning cable management. For example, don't walk one way past a table then come back the other side. Get used to trailing a hand behind you to pull the cord along or you can do what  I do, which is to use LX tape to tape a ring about 40cm down the mic cable, then use a small carabina through that ring and my back belt loop to put the strain on my pants instead of on the belt pack and connection (the cable lasts longer).

You will learn little tricks the more stage management you do to make your life a bit easier.

However in response to your orrigional question. Yes, you can buy a single wireless can station that will interface with your telex system. However I doubt you could afford it.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2006, 11:40 pm by Mac Calder »

ESM_John

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2006, 10:00 am »
O, ok thank you very much. I'm sure i'll end up doing the long cable concept unless my school buys them. Thanks.

Satchmo

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2006, 01:26 pm »
Clearcom wireless setup for 1 person can easily run $4,000.00.  Granted its relativly cheap after that to add up to 3 more beltpacks (about $1000 each).  You are paying for the base station mostly.  Either way its too expensive for most applications.

ESM_John

« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2006, 07:18 pm »
I think ive decided to go with a long cable from the wall to my pack, and if i buy anything, it will be the actual headset, as thats the part i will have to deal with the most, and it wont be too expensive to find a relatively light headset for under $400.00.