Author Topic: Vacation! London/Paris  (Read 7990 times)

nmno

Vacation! London/Paris
« on: Mar 07, 2007, 02:37 pm »
Doing it, taking a vacation!  yeah!  Heading to London and Paris (a few days in each) over Easter (and my b-day!)...  Bought the ticket last night!  (Sadly, I bought thru BA and didn't discover until after I'd made my purchase that seat selection isn't available until 24hrs before flight - should be fine for my trip there, but now in the middle of my last day I have to find a computer so I can select my seat.  It's going to be a long 11 hours if I have a middle seat!  Trying not to think about it since there is nothing I can do :)

anyway, got my Rick Steves books that I'm pouring through.  But figured I'd solicit any suggestions from the group on your favorite spots, restaurants, pubs, activities? 

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Vacation! London/Paris
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2007, 03:57 pm »
For the ultimate in what's possible for over-the-pub theatre, go to the Gate Theatre in Notting Hill.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

cuelight

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (UK)
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2007, 07:40 am »
Also, for some great quality theatre and a fantastic resturant (if a bit pricey) head over to the Menier Chocolate Factory.

dramabrit58

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2007, 03:04 pm »
Hi,  The Tricycle Theatre in Kilburn London is a great theatre.  They have a website so you can see what they are doing.  It is sometimes used as a movie theatre as well.  If you like Shakespeare and have the time I suggestion The Globe.  You don't necessarily have to see a production but they have a neat museum.  Camden Market is also interesting place to walk around and of course there is Carnby Street but I don't think it has the same pull as it used to.  I suggested you look into Day passes for the subway and buses cos travelling around if you are jumping from place to place gets very extravagant.  Google London Transport and it will bring up a whole slew of choices.  Good luck I am envious I hope you have a great time.  I am a Londoner.
:)

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2007, 10:19 pm »
A tour of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.  I worked a few shifts there just before I left London, and it is a phenomenal place, well worth a look.

smsam

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2007, 04:12 pm »
If you can get out of London at all what about a visit to Stratford to RSC, that's got to be worth a little visit!
As for things to do in good old London Town, 'The Sound of Music' in the West-End at the moment is quite spectacular if you like Musical Theatre. If your looking to get away from the Theatre thing then just doing the normal sites like Trafalgar Square, The South Bank (where you'll find the National Theatre, The London Eye, The Tate Modern),  Buckingham Palace etc. etc can be fun! If your looking for nice bars, pubs, resteraunts and shopping go to Angel which is a lovely area! If your looking for a fun (/ very camp!) night out hit Soho where there's plenty of fun to be had.

Good (torusity) shopping for clothes and electronics (which obviously you'll find so much more expensive over here!) can be found at Oxford Street.

If you've got any more specific questions just ask and I'll try my best!

Sam x
Sam x

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:41 pm »
I think the RSC might be dark over Easter - it was last year.  Boo!  They do regular tours at the National Theatre, including backstage - lots of fun!  There are a couple other backstage tours ... does anyone remember the one on the West End ... old theatre supposed to be haunted?  There's a great website for travelers - www.virtualtourist.com - you'll get lots of info from travelers and residents alike!  Bon voyage!

riotous