Author Topic: Stage managers do make coffee  (Read 12957 times)

harrythepotter

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Stage managers do make coffee
« on: Aug 08, 2006, 03:36 am »
 Has anyone read this? Does anyone know the author?                                                  newbielink:http://www.mts.net/~skirzyk/SMs%20do%20make%20coffee.pdf [nonactive]

Ladytatooine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://360.yahoo.com/
Re: Stage managers do make coffee
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2006, 09:53 am »
off topic a bit...I'm loading what your link was...but I totally love your username.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2006, 10:35 am »
Sm's do make coffee (By carissa dollar) was probably the first thing I read about stage management. It used to be a geocities site on the web, but then dissapeared. It is a great intro into SM'ing.

Lady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA EMC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2006, 11:37 pm »
Like Mac, that was one of the first things I read when I got into SMing.  I used to know her whole website backwards and forward.
"One cannot truly become an artist unless he has questioned his own sanity and lived in a haunted house." -Jasmine Rivera

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2006, 10:36 pm »
I first found Carissa's site when I was building the first version of SMNetwork, and took a lot of inspiration from it.  I'm impressed that it's still around! 

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2006, 03:49 pm »
Carissa's site is still up at http://www.geocities.com/dollariquestnet/SMhandbook.html

I still reference it all the time.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

IvoryWonder

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2006, 04:05 am »
Thanks for that link! I haven't read that, but it looks to be informative. I'll have a look at it to be sure. I did read something quite like it years back, but since have lost the link for it. Thanks for the post!

april1110

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2006, 12:14 am »
Yeah i think at some point when starting off as a stage manager "stage mamangers do make coffee" gets handed out all around to explore all the tasks of a stage manager... and yes some tasks did surprise me. The only reason i had come upon this is my stage management class in college and...to tell you the truth i'm not really sure if i'd like being a stage manager but maybe thats just my opinion...

monicammuller

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2006, 02:24 am »
I loved this article so much i printed it out and put it in my "everything i need to know as an SM" binder. There are many good examples in her article about each step of the production process.  I recomend that everyone atleast read the article once, it gives some good advice.

dramaqueenja

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2006, 11:04 am »
This article was very helpful and informative. Are there any other articles like this floating around on the web? It would be interesting to see another in depth point of view, since stage management methods vary from person to person...

cljoycejon

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2006, 11:24 pm »
Hi, I'm Cynthia from the University of Southern Indiana. We had to read "Stage Managers Do Make Coffee" for an assignment in SM class. It is about 30 pages long but a very comical and informative article to learn from. The author Carissa Dollar's purpose for this article is to help young and upcoming SM's to avoid some of the many pitfalls that usually comes with inexperience. This includes her Ten Golden Rules of Stage Management. A must read for us newbies!

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2006, 06:37 pm »
I have also read it and was extremely pleased with the content. I have it bookmarked and I like to refer to it every now and again.
Sean

Whitewater

• New to Town
  • I'm an Ozalot -- and proud of it!
    • View Profile
    • Whitewater's Web Site
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2006, 02:13 am »
WOW!

Hey, anybody know who I ought to contact to get permission to add a link on my website to hers? Because what she's put together is fantastic and ought to be spread far and wide.

Whitewater
Current: Trail of Terror, Evil Clown

Next: ???? (resumes are sent out!)

www.mybackstagelife.net

mca

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2006, 02:18 am »
Just link to her site. No need for permission! It's free advertising for her site. It'll get the word out, so I can't see why she would object!  :)

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2006, 05:41 am »
It is always polite to ask. Whilst it is doubtful that there may be a problem with linking to her site, she may have a more up to date version hosted elsewhere which is not ranked as highly on google or something like that which she wants linked to instead, or any one of a myriad of reasons.

riotous