Author Topic: Walnut Street Theatre  (Read 20436 times)

wilmister

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Clybourne Park-Woolly Mammoth Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Walnut Street Theatre
« on: Dec 26, 2005, 10:16 pm »
So, I haven't heard much about the Walnut Street theatre but I was wondering how their apprentice program favors in making connection and possibly finding work.  If anyone has ever apprenticed there please post a response of your experience and how it helped you get where you are now.  I am currently an intern at the Olney Theatre cednter in MD and am considering doing this one at the end of this one.  Jess maybe you have a clue??  

Thanks

Will C.
William E. Cruttenden
AEA Stage Manager
Wilmister@Gmail.com

phillydan

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
Walnut Street Theatre
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2005, 04:08 pm »
I was an apprentice at the Walnut about five years ago.  As far as apprenticeships go, they really don't get any better than this one.  For starters, you actually get a paycheck every week.  But, even more importantly, if you're working on the mainstage, you'll be functioning as a primary ASM, and most of the time you--and probably one other apprentice on bigger musicals--will be responsible for running the backstage.  In other words, you're truly an important member of the stage management team and not just "an intern."  

Also, you'd be working alongside established professionals on Broadway-scale productions.  And having the Walnut on your resume really doesn't hurt.  My phone started ringing a lot more after working there.

The long and short of my answer is this: you should apply for the program and if you're accepted, you'd be a fool not to do it.  I would be hard pressed to think of a better apprenticeship situation.  Apart from working at a well-known theatre and learning a tremendous amount by actually DOING the job (and not having to do all those other "miscellaneous" jobs that interns are often expected to do), Philadelphia is an awesome town to live in.

MsAnnaPotter

• Tourist
    • View Profile
WST
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2005, 02:33 am »
I am currently a stage management apprentice at the Walnut, and I LOVE IT!! I've met some amazing people, worked with actors from broadway, film and tv. i love the fact that you truly find a family here. the staff and other interns are so easy to get along with and always willing to help. I work on the Mainstage, my apprenticeship lasts through the whole season. Currently I am first ASM on deck for Beauty and the Beast, and i couldn't be having more fun. The IATSE crew are great too.  One of my favorite things too is that the walnut is a non-profit, so there's liberty in the shows produced. Also, every year there's a collection during the Christmas show for Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS. We've been collecting for five shows so far and have raised over $10K!!!!

As far as career advancement, I don't finish until July, and I've already had two requests for resume for after this season. Can't go wrong there.

Good Luck!