Author Topic: SM: the musical  (Read 117117 times)

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
SM: the musical
« on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:28 pm »
Note from Moderator:
This topic is split from "The 12 Days of Christmas thread" found here:
http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,4198.0.html
~nmno

That was fun and I think we just wrote the big Act 1 finale number for Stage Managers: The Musical  :D

Now there's a fun and/or scary idea... can you imagining being the "real" SM on that show?

Hmmm... visions of 20 tapdancing stagehands... :D
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2008, 12:28 pm by nmno »

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:22 pm »
That was fun and I think we just wrote the big Act 1 finale number for Stage Managers: The Musical  :D

Now there's a fun and/or scary idea... can you imagining being the "real" SM on that show?

Hmmm... visions of 20 tapdancing stagehands... :D

I think SM: The Musical would have to be entirely produced, directed, and acted by SMs, past or present.  I'm not sure I could handle watching actors pretend to be/understand SMs....too painful to try to explain exactly how we work.
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:00 pm »
Hows this for a plot?  An ASM arrives from a small midwestern repertory theatre and tries to make it big on Broadway.  In spite of some initial set backs, one of the big shot SMs is sidelined and our spunky would-be SM gets his/her chance at the big leagues and knocks it out of the park! 

Darn!  Thats 42nd Street.  ???

Edited by nmno for content.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2008, 02:03 am by nmno »

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:31 am »
Hows this for a plot?  An ASM arrives from a small midwestern repertory theatre and tries to make it big on Broadway.  In spite of some initial set backs, one of the big shot SMs is sidelined and our spunky would-be SM gets his/her chance at the big leagues and knocks it out of the park! 

Darn!  Thats 42nd Street.  ???

Edited by nmno for content.

Oh, come on, all the best shows are just reiterations of other shows.

But could you find enough SM's who would be willing to act? Or would you end up with actors who could say "I SM'd once in college" (ugh ugh ugh nothing more frustrating than an actor who thinks they've stage managed)

crazylady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:49 am »
I think you could actually, since we all feel that actors would never get it right (of course, because we think we are the only ones who can do our jobs right!). You would also have to throw in an electrician, the td, the designers, a director and like one or 2 actors that do EVERYTHING a horrible actor could possibly do (the actors are of course dating each other). Oh, and some of the scenes would have to take place during the smoke break.

Wait wait wait! You could totally do a murder mystery thing or alfred hitchock or something, except on the line of, the missing prompt book! Omg, we are so writing this. It's gonna be the best musical ever.
“Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
                                           - Peter Hall

Lizzie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: SM: the musical
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:39 pm »
You'd have scenes in the crew room, booth/prompt desk, production office, fly floor, grid ...

Some sort of dance number done in complete silence, by people in black, doing a super-complicated prop-and-scenery change, is floating round my head.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:09 pm »
This is, by far, the funniest thread I've read!
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:29 pm »
Some sort of dance number done in complete silence, by people in black, doing a super-complicated prop-and-scenery change, is floating round my head.

Yes! As the opening number. Perhaps with each SM at some point putting a piece of paper on a giant callboard flown in at the crescendo... when all the paper's on it, it forms the show's logo.

Perhaps a finger-snapping gang fight, road crew vs. house crew, to add tension?

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:32 pm »
Riggers repelling down the proscenium?  Dancing carps?  Ohhhh ... "The Circular Saw Ballet!"

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:48 pm »
ASMs racing each other to spike the stage? a printer on a downstage edge firing out line note pages throughout the show? The Ballad of the Lost Pencils?
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:49 pm »
SM the musical would be done backwards showing the backstage while a "musical" was going on the "stage". You would see the scene changes from the wrong side and all the hijinks of props being in the wrong place and essentially all the possible mistakes that could be made.

The main plot is the ASM is trying to run things backstage and doesn't think she could ever manage the stress of an actors life so she is working backstage. Then the lead actress gets hurt either just before the second act or at the 10 minute call and understudy is nowhere to be found so the ASM is pushed onstage to perform.

The hit song "Call the Understudy" (think Slings & Arrows) sung by the leading male on a side plot...
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:21 pm »
Riggers repelling down the proscenium?  Dancing carps?  Ohhhh ... "The Circular Saw Ballet!"

Oh, the classic ballet dream sequence, eh? ;)
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:37 pm »
And of course, the lighting design will all be done in dark blue, or dark red, with a bit of spill coming on stage from the "stage" in the wings.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

allenah

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:44 pm »
You could have a "fight call" where the actors completely forget the choreography and end up injuring the lead....that's how the ASM could be needed.
Theatre is nothing if not spontaneous.The novel can be put away, taken up, reread.Not theatre.It keeps slipping between one's fingers.Its permanent features such as scenery, script, etc. are not more theatre than two poles of a generator are electricity.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2008, 08:46 pm »
I immediately thought of people suspending themselves Cirque du Soleil like from the fly lines wearing black spandex and doing complex body moves.