Author Topic: SM photos  (Read 5714 times)

theater_writer

• Tourist
    • View Profile
SM photos
« on: Jan 16, 2007, 06:42 pm »
Hi Everyone!

I'm not a stage manager, but I write about them. My new book Careers in Technical Theater is set to be published by Allworth Press in July.

I am having a hard time getting the stage managers and theaters that are featured in the book to cough up photographs of sms at work. If there are any professional stage managers willing to submit photos of themselves at work, that would be fantastic.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you: michaeljlawler@earthlink.net

KT.n.T.

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: SM photos
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:08 pm »
I have to giggle at this only because the troupe has 2 regular photographers who attend practically every rehearsal and performance.  And every month, I'm given discs filled with performance shots and candid backstage shots of the performers....but never one of me or my tech crew.   :-\   I mentioned this to one photographer just last night.

Now that it's been brought to his attention, perhaps the next disc will have pix you can use for your book...  ;D

newbielink:http://www.myspace.com/peekaboorevue [nonactive]

theater_writer

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2007, 07:23 pm »
Cool...thanks.

What company do you work for?

OldeWolf

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:13 pm »
There's a reason a lot of us dress in black and stand in the wings<g>. I've tried to get shaps of some of my deck crews at work and have a devil of a time...and conversely, they don't have pix of me, either. No one has wanted them. I'd allow it, but don't encourage or invite it.

Hope you get some responses from SMs with shots to share.

Owen
All the world's a Stage...

KT.n.T.

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:44 am »
I stage manage for the Peek-A-Boo Revue Burlesque troupe in Philadelphia. 

Feel free to browse our MySpace page, which is overflowing with thousands of pretty pictures of the pretty performers. :P  newbielink:http://www.myspace.com/peekaboorevue [nonactive].   It's all good tho.  There is one pic of me on the page, which needs to be removed - ugh!  Why does everyone else get pic approval but me?  *pout*
newbielink:http://www.myspace.com/peekaboorevue [nonactive]

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2007, 12:18 am »
The last time anyone took a photo of me stage managing was the summer where it was 110 degrees in the shade (in LA) and the air conditioner in the theatre had broken down.  We rented a portable unit for the shows, but not for rehearsals.  I keep hoping they'll lose those horrible pictures of me all red and sweaty.  I find that when I'm working I'm not thinking about looking my best, so I avoid all cameras.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:26 am »
My only photo as SM is a shocker too... Also taken in hot weather, however it is a photo of me sitting beside a pedestal fan in prompt corner, my hair flying everywhere, looking joyous due to the cool air.

That said - I don't photograph well, and tend to be on the other end of the camera if possible.

smsam

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2007, 02:18 am »
I have a picture of me at a prompt desk calling the show! Its sort of from behind but it gives a good view of all the prompt desk controls but its not the best quality ever but I will email it over to you anyway!

Sam
Sam x