Author Topic: Printers  (Read 10318 times)

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Printers
« on: Jan 02, 2007, 10:48 pm »
I am looking into getting a new printer and am in need of some guidance.  I currently have an HP and I'm not displeased with it, but it has gone downhill quickly and I am willing to go a new direction.  I also have a Dell b/w printer that I cannot use since I have a Mac and there are no drivers available that I can find out there for it...

I'm interested in the possibility of getting a small, portable printer but am not sold on that notion.  I don't want to spend a whole lot of money whichever way I go, I just want a cheap workhorse printer.  Suggestions?
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Printers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:43 am »
I find I print 99% of my stuff in black and white - so at home I have a small B&W laser that cost me AU$200, it is a lexmark - model number escapes me, and also an Epsom C63 colour ink jet (a bit long in the tooth now), which tends to spend half it's life wedged under the front of the passenger seat in my car. It is not a "Portable" by any stretch of the imagination - 150mmx200mmx500mm being the approximate dimensions - but it is easy enough to carry if I need to "set up shop" in a venue (or clients house). I also have an old dot matrix printer (form feed and A4) which I picked up for a fiver at a garage sale - and it has one purpose - printing documents on Non-Carbon triplicate paper (ie medical forms)

Canuck

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2007, 01:39 pm »
All my best printers have been from Lexmark.  You can usually find a good basic inkjet one at a decent price.  Mine have lasted a long time and I like how good they are on ink - a cartridge lasts me quite awhile.  We use a lexmark laser printer at work and it has held up better and longer than the computers!  I'm considering upgrading my home printer to a laser, because they really seem to be worth the extra dollars.

A friend of mine got a portable printer and didn't find it all that useful, especially since it put her back $350 CAN.  It was kinda convenient when she wanted to print things of her laptop quickly - but otherwise it really wasn't worth the hassle to haul around.  After the first week or so it sort of stayed at home, she might as well have saved the dollars, live and learn I guess!

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2007, 03:39 pm »
I advise buying the cheapest, lightest b/w printer for hauling around to rehearsal space.
And keep ther pricier one at home.
I have had good luck with Canon.  The ink runs out quicker, but it is also cheaper so you are not shelling out the cost of a new printer everytime you need more ink.
"This time for sure."

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2007, 03:40 pm »
Gotta say I'm a fan of the Canon portable printers...used mine like a workhorse dropping it 4 too many times....beyond salvaging now, but it was rugged while it lasted.  I'm not touring quite as much now, and can't quite justify buying another one...but bet I will soon.  I do do color quite a bit, as I'm an avid photographer too, so that's my biggest bugaboo about not having it right now.  The Canon portables were great for photos (last one I had was the i70).  But I do feel I want a "workhorse" to do black and white when I'm at home.  The portable was just nice because I could actually fit it, my computer AND my scanner in one backpack if I needed to (yes I have a big backpack). 

Erin

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:24 am »
I've had great luck w Brother and Okidata - and I prefer laser printers (which are much cheaper in the long run - esp if you don't do color)

psmbill

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2007, 05:39 pm »
I'm also currently shopping for a portable printer.  I bought an HP Deskjet 450 about 4 years ago, but frankly it has been a bit of a lemon.  The feeder has never worked properly--I think it has a bad sensor which has required lots of fiddling around to send the paper through.

Many of the crews I've toured with seem to like the Canon portables. The Pixma iP90 is one I've been looking at (about $254).  I really don't need photo quality, but this seems to be the only portable Canon seems to have now.  Any suggestions? I tour a lot and hope its sturdy.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:12 pm »
Portable printers:

I have one.  It is the second portable that I have had.

I love it.  This one is bluetooth compatible (which made it a bit more pricey but totally worth it).

Lightweight, fits in my laptop bag.  Prints color and b/w.  Goes on tour.

Set it up in one location when you arrive.  Print from anywhere in the theatre.

Plus, I live in NYC and therefore my apartment in TINY.  It is nice to not waste space on printer set up.  Pull it out when I need it and put it right back away when I am done.

Did I mention, I love Bluetooth?

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:33 pm »
What kind of portable printer is it that you have?  I, too, live in a small NYC apt.  The printer I have on the way out is a bit of a space hog as it is a PSC, which is occassionally nice but it sits on my floor in the way.  I'd also love to take something into the rehearsal room on occassion...
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:39 pm »
I have HP 450.  I love it.  Good speed.  Not the quietest, but what printer is?

I have cats so it is great that I can put away the printer when I am done.  Less fur in the mechanisms . . .

I have taken it our tour with great success.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2007, 06:57 am »
I'm also currently shopping for a portable printer.  I bought an HP Deskjet 450 about 4 years ago, but frankly it has been a bit of a lemon.  The feeder has never worked properly--I think it has a bad sensor which has required lots of fiddling around to send the paper through.

I have the same printer and it does the same kind of thing!  Plus the ink bleeds, and HP won't do anything to fix it, they only offered me a trade up option where I still have to pay $250!  It's extremely frustrating.

I don't really know why, either.  I haven't really done anything out of the ordinary with it - yes, it travels with me, but isn't that what it's designed to do? 

I'm not sure if I should replace it with another HP or switch the canon brand.  I'm thinking of trying to find one on Ebay. 
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:02 pm »
I have a Canon ip90 with a battery and bluetooth. It turned out to be a little expensive after all the added stuff, but I think it's totally worth it. It is really small, prints relatively fast and is a photo printer. I highly recommend it. I bought mine refurbished, have had it for two years and have had no troubles!

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2007, 02:09 pm »
I have one of the old Canon BJC-80s.  I've been happy with it, but it wouldn't be compatible with a Mac.  Newer models of the Canon laptop ones that have USB would work though.  You can find a number of these printers on eBay for sustantially less than you'd pay for it brand new.

shatbox

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2007, 12:24 am »
I'm waiting on the new Kodak printers to come out. They say the ink cartridges will be cheaper. The thinking is the cheaper the ink, the more you you will print out. I think it would be a great work printer.
Seek those with standards and meet them. Exceed them. Move forward. Set the standard.
iacosta@phillytheatreco.com

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2007, 04:33 pm »
I have an HP PSC 1510 "All In One" that I love. Not only does it print (B&W, color and photos) it also scans and copies. The copier is kinda slow so I only use it occasionally when I can't get to the department's copier, but I love it. It's light, but I don't know if it's light enough to tour with. It only travels from my office to the living room (when I'm doing a lot of work, and still want to be sociable and watch TV with my roommates). It was a gift, but I know it's fairly inexpensive (less than $130). The ink is a little pricey, but lasts for quite a while. There's my 2 cents.