Author Topic: OS: PC vs MAC  (Read 10584 times)

Alice_S

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: PC v Mac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2005, 04:29 pm »
Quote from: "scoot"
No offense, but that is not true.  That hasn't been a problem in years, esp with OS X - and actually, I've run into more problems with re-formatting going between an older Windows machine and a Windows laptop than I ever have with a Mac.

None taken. I am explaining what I've experienced personally, though. My entire COM department at university was on Macs...but if we had to present to another department or change buildings it was to a PC-environment. Bullets and imbedded charts tend to not work correctly (this doesn't happen 100% of the time...but I'd venture that it's a majority of the time.)

Admittedly we used OS9 and earlier. But I've worked extensively with both platforms for many, many years. And honestly (honestly, believe it if you want, but I'm telling the truth--I've never worked for Microsoft and I have no reason to lie... :wink: ) I've had WAY more problems with Macs than with PCs...This is just my experience and my opinion, though.

...my experience...my opinion...

~Alice~

MHSTech

• Tourist
    • View Profile
PC vs MAC
« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2005, 10:17 pm »
Anybody know where I can find upgrade parts for a MAC?

Wait, I forgot, you can't upgrade anything except memory and the hard drive.

You're better off getting a PC. What programs do you need to use that are unique to MAC? Seems to me it would be a lot easier to run programs on the OS they were designed for, rather than trying to find a program to emuluate them.

If money is an issue and you just need a PC to do spreadsheets and stuff on, just get a low end PC and put Fedora Core 4 on it. Despite what people say about Linux, FC4 is a very easy install of Linux. Then, as far as a spreadsheet program goes, use OpenOffice. It's free and is compatible with Microsoft Office.

turnedintoastick

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • http://www.northcoastrep.org
PC vs MAC
« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2005, 01:32 am »
I am glad to see this was such a hot topic.  

Most people are pushing mac.  I agree.

However, you should get what you want.  Price them out and see what features you get for your money.  Buying a computer can be a big investment and making sure you get what you want is important, especially being in a field that does not always pay the best.  Just about all the important software you will use would be available on mac or pc.

I have a mac at home and a pc at work never have problems working between them.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
comfort
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2005, 12:13 am »
Althought I am a die-hard Mac user, I will say my two cents says go with what you are familar with.  For me, its Mac.  To do the things that I can do instantly on a Mac, I find that I have to hunt and peck forever to find where they are hiding those commands/whatever on a PC.  I'm sure that PC users feel the same - things aren't in the same place, and things don't run the same.  I hate it when my mother calls me to fix her computer - things that would take me seconds to do on my machine, I often can't do for her PC.  I really feel like PCs are computers that are made to be used without questions.  Its so hard to get into the control areas to fix/adjust anything.  I will say that I have no problems touring with my Mac, I use MacLinkPlus for tanslating PC documents.  It gives me a wide choice of programs that I can open documents from or save to their format.   I also have PowerPrint - which provides me with printer drivers for virtually any PC printer I come across.  So, I can walk into a venue, literally just plug into their printer, and print.

I just like having my own computer with.  Its great to be able to sit and work with what I'm familiar with, while the folks around me are cursing their ancient donated computers.  

-Centaura

amylee

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/amylee1028
get a mac :)
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2005, 04:01 am »
the comment about needing to re-format anything from a mac is NOT TRUE unless your PC hasn't been upgraded in a number of years.

mac's are simply WAY more stable than their pc counterparts, and they also last way longer - i recently replaced my first mac laptop, which was some eight years old, and i only recently hit a "wall" of sorts that couldn't be fixed with extra RAM, and only because i want to get into more digital photography work. the old computer has become a juke box that is connected to my stereo and can be controlled from my new computer wirelessly - i challenge you to find a pc with that kind of staying power.
amy lee
:)  :(

StageMgrJon

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Simple Truth
« Reply #20 on: Oct 11, 2005, 02:35 pm »
Not sure who said it above, but I have to agree:  Anything you can do on a PC, you can do on a Mac.  Don't let anyone say any differently.

I was a Manager of a Tech Department before I switched to Stage Management later in life.  Everything is so interchangeable now, it doesn't seem to matter.

I use a 15" PowerBook and a Mac Mini and I love it.  My wife (also a Stage Manager) uses a Dell Laptop with Windows.  We work on shows together and really have no problems at all sharing paperwork and everything else we have to do.

It is really your personal preference and it really doesn't matter.

That being said, I LOVE MY MAC and think everyone should have one.

riotous