Author Topic: Multi-tool advice?  (Read 17869 times)

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
Multi-tool advice?
« on: Jun 25, 2007, 11:36 pm »
I'm in the market for my first multi-tool and I could use some input.

I think I want one that is less complicated (I'm leaning toward the Leatherman Juice c2), because mostly when I find myself in need of a tool it's something simple like a screwdriver.

So I'm wondering: what multi-tool do you use?  If you have one that has lots of tools on it, how often do you use them?  Would you recommend going with a bigger one even though I won't often use most of the tools - just in case?

Thanks!

wtcsrstaph4life

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-tool advice?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2007, 11:56 pm »
I would go with a Leatherman, size is up to you, but I would definitely go with one with pliers and not the small ones with scissors instead. I do use the screw drivers and the knife quite a bit, but I prefer to use a normal screwdriver when I can just because they are easier.

As for the size that's good for you, that is something you need to figure out, will you actually need four different screwdrivers, a bottle opener, 2 knives, a saw and scissors. My main reason for having the bigger one is that I use it in my scouting career as well, and not just in theatre...

McShell

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2007, 05:07 am »
I have the Juice XE6
It has pliers, screwdrivers, knife, etc., but it's very light and small.  I have a bigger one, which I didn't even bring out last show because the juice did me well.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2007, 08:53 am »
Leatherman or Gerber. I would not buy anything other than one of those two brands - both have top class build quality, and top class waranties on them.

As for functionality - the Wave is probably everything you need, and then some. I have not seen the Juice range - my Wave has served me 4 years so far and shows no sign of needing replacement.

I would avoid the "Swiss Army Knife" range of multi-tools... the pliars are probably the most usefull part of a multitool. I have shocking fingernails, so 9 times out of 10, I use the knife blade instead of my screwdrivers, but the times I have used the screwdriver on the Wave, it has held up well - it is also handy that the bits in the wave can be pulled out and flipped to change between a flat and phillips head, instead of having to have multiple attatchments.

My main piece of advice though, would be not to skimp on price and functionality. As I said earlier, my Wave has lasted 4 years with no sign of dieing any time soon - and it is under a 10 year waranty (Cost: AU$240). Compare that to an AU$20 cheap multitool, which can (and usually does) end up dead within a few months (I killed one of them in less than a day last year when I forgot my leatherman when I went on tour), and it is clear to see that the higher initial outlay is easily offset by long term savings.

goldbird

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2007, 04:59 pm »
I couldn't agree with Mac more in regards to buying a quality tool.  I have proudly owned a couple Leathermans, and they have put up with anything I have thrown at them.  I would recommend the Leatherman Wave, it's dropped a lot in price since the Charge came out (you can get one for $60-80).   You'll find that you don't use all it's features all the time, but over time, you'll need each and every one, and like an SM kit, it's great to have it all.

You mentioned screwdrivers, and that's where the new Wave and Charge models are great, as they have a nice bit exchanger so you can carry 20+ bits with you.  As for scissors, they also have those built into the handles.  I own the Charge, but that's just because I have to have the best.  The Wave/Charge really aren't that much bigger/heavier than the Juice models, but either way, you can't go wrong with the Leatherman name.  Just don't buy a cheap $20 tool, because when it matters, you get what you pay for.

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2007, 06:17 pm »
I have a Leatherman Juice XE6.  I have another, more traditional leatherman as well.  Though, since I got the Juice I use that one more since it is smaller & lighter with a good deal of what I need on a daily basis.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2007, 06:28 pm »
I've got a Gerber Compact Sport, which is one of their smaller multi-tools, and I love it.  3 flat-head screwdrivers (one of which doubles as a bottle-opener, and another as a can-opener), one Philips screwdriver, knife, scissors and of course pliers.  I find the scissors are probably the tool I use most - plus they're strong enough to cut gobos with!!  I opted for Gerber over Leatherman because I like the fact I can open it with one hand.

fritz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2007, 11:53 pm »
I use a Leatherman Squirt P4 (a smaller muli-tool) because it's small enough to comfortably fit in my pocket or clipped onto my belt, but it still has enough tools and features to fix almost as much as any larger multi-tool can in a SM situation. I know of a few stage-hands that use it too.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2007, 01:59 pm »
I opted for Gerber over Leatherman because I like the fact I can open it with one hand.
I can open my Leatherman Wave with just one hand.
It's all in the wrist .;)
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2007, 08:06 am »
I use a Gerber Multi-Plier 400 Compact Sport Black and love it.

The feature that you can open it with one hand is definitely important for me, the tools are easily accessible (I find I have to really dig in with fingernails I don't have with SwissKnife Tools and other off-brands), and they lock into place securely - which has saved me fingers from being inadvertently sliced more than once. It is compact and came with a black belt pack.

The tools are just the right variety for my needs - flat and phillips screw heads, excellent knife, pliers and wire cutter, can and bottle openers, and scissors that are the best scissors I've ever seen in a multi-tool. They can cut thicker rope and even leather (sometimes you might have to patiently snip away for a few minutes because the tool is small, but this tool will actually cut through the thick stuff).

I have a crush on my Gerber.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2007, 07:04 pm »
I have a crush on my Gerber.
Eww...that's creepy a little!
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:20 pm »
I have a Leatherman Juice XE6. 

I have this one also, and I love it.  It is small and lightweight, easy to use, and has pliers AND scissors.  It is also purple and easy to identify as mine.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2008, 02:11 pm »
The Leatherman Wave is the best multi-tool made. It costs little more than the other leathermans and it is well worth it. Then again, I also do Scouting, so I am a bit more biased towards bigger knives. ;D

this is such and old topic, but i came across it while looking for another and had to add my 2 cents.

I agree about the Wave. I used to be a Gerber girl all the way, but in the last 2 years switched to the Wave and I love it. (I've also lost or had 2 stolen in the same amount of time!)

Ebay, ebay, ebay. I have never spend over $40 on one.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

GalFriday

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Current Gig: Programmer for Hire
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2008, 01:24 am »
I like my Juice XE6. Yesterday one of the guys in the control shop returned it to me...they figured it had to belong to "the girl". Yes, I have been teased for my purple Leatherman. However, I have had it for years and it always finds it's way back to my hands. Speaking of which, my hands are small and I find this size more comfortable.
"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" - Stephen Sondheim

saladressing

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 12, 2008, 08:21 am »
This must seem rather blasphemous then, but I've lived with my $5 multi-tool for three to four years. The thing I love about it is that it has a little LED torch! Pliers, screwdriver, knife, bottle opener. I complement it with a mini-screwdriver for smaller things. Only one problem: the plier's cutter can't deal with fishing hooks. But then again, pliers that can do so without being damaged are rare!

That said, I won't mind getting a Leatherman! xD