BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
Lent?
« on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:12 pm »
Does anyone on this forum observe Lent?  In terms of "giving something up," I mean.

If you do -- what are you giving up this year? Ash Wednesday is one week away, and I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for what I consider to be my ultimate sacrifice....giving up coffee!

Anyone else care to comment?

Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: Lent?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:46 pm »
I haven't made up my mind yet - might give up table salt (I bring my own shaker to every theatre I work at), or soda (I'm a Cherry coke and Sunkist gal).

Another Lentian strategy I'm considering is a combo: to give up / give back.  So it works like this.  I resolve to give up eating out - but I know realistically that I will get take-out probably once or twice a week anyway.  But every time I spend money on unnecessary or indulgent food (including the random slice of pizza, Chinese with the crew) I must give the same amount of money to a charity.  So my $7 sandwich = $7 for my charity.  I keep a running tab in my desk, and at the end of Lent, write a check for the total.  I've done this in the past, and it works for me.   This way, I'm giving something up for Lent but also giving something back to the world a little too. 

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2007, 03:04 pm »
That's a good idea.  I'm going to do something similar -- every time I have a craving for my huge non fat latte from starbucks, I'll take the $4 I would have spent, put it in a jar, and then after Easter I'll make a donation somewhere  (charity TBD).
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2007, 01:01 am »
OK I've changed my mind...I'm not giving up coffee, I'm giving up all sugar.  Well, like processed sugar -- high fructose corn syrup, candy, etc.....

Obviously natural sugars occur in fruit and vegetables, that doesn't count becuase those sugars are good for me.  I'm giving up bad sugar. 

I figured, coffee isn't bad for me.  HFCS is! 

blaha_haha

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:09 am »
I have decided to give up school.....I wish Im a senior in hs and my parentss...and the director of our musical (that im SMing for) would KILL ME!!!!!!!! But seriously, I think Im going to give up some tv, Im never home to watch it during the week anyways.

riotous