Author Topic: KIT: Number Line  (Read 5493 times)

phillydan

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
KIT: Number Line
« on: Apr 08, 2006, 09:43 pm »
I'm working on beefing up my supply stash and would like to add my own portable number line to the mix.  I have to move between a couple different rehearsal spaces for my upcoming summer gig and would like to have a number line that I can just roll up and move easily.  I've seen a couple different variations, but they all seem to have been specially made.  Does anyone know if there is a source from which I can order one pre-manufactured?
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 11:16 pm by PSMKay »

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
Number Line
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2006, 11:14 pm »
I've never seen one pre-manufactured, but I made one recently out of 2" black webbing and a paint pen.  It rolls up quickly and easily into a very compact package! Make it longer than you think you might need and just fold the ends under and tape it down in a few strategic places!
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Number Line
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2006, 03:20 am »
What sized numberline are you looking for - I have four rigid ones mades out of foot long, 1/2" pieces of wood that folds out to a number line up to about 5 meters long. I have no idea what you want to use your for, I use mine for spiking sets, focusing LX etc. (fold it out to the desired length and use it as a cartesian plane).

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Number Line
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2006, 12:28 pm »
When we were in Myrtle Beach last year with a show, we got one locally from a place called Showcards.  (For those who aren't sure what we're talking about, it's used for dancers/performers to tell spacing across the stage.  It has numbers centered every two feet each side of center for them to guide off.)  It was on a black plasticy material...my best way to describe it is it's like the molding along the base of a wall where it meets the floor - though I could be totally wrong with my description.  I think the numbers were around 3 inches high, but again, I'm only going from memory.  We needed about 30 feet each side of center, and I remember debating between whether to get one that went 30 to 0 to 30 (the full width) or two separate ones (30 to 0 for one and 0 to 30 the other).  I think we bought 2 "full" ones, so we could have one upstage and one downstage.  My PSM says they were $170-200.  Showcards doesn't seem to have a website, but if you do a Google search you can at least get their phone number.

I was quite impressed with how non-bulky, lightweight, and compact they were, compared to ones we had made previously ourself on thick webbing.  And we were always worried the webbing would stretch - a previous incarnation on burlap certainly had stretched beyond use.  

Erin

jensparkingonly

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://jensparkingonly.com
Number Line
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2006, 02:45 pm »
I made mine out of an outdoor display ribbon, 6" wide that I picked up at a craft store. It's a mesh like ribbon you find in the floral supply. They use for outdoor weddings, etc. I attached 4" vinyl numbers to it.  It works pretty well and rolls up neatly for storage. (I purchased the numbers at the hardware store where they sell mailboxes.) I added clear plastic tape tabs every four feet so it could be taped it down & pulled up with out damaging the ribbon. It cost me around $45.
Jen Matthews
Stage Manager, AEA
jensparkingonly@hotmail.com

"In art we are once again able to do all the things we have forgotten: we are able to walk on water; we speak to the angels who call us; we  move, unfettered, among the stars." -ML