Author Topic: Just got a new book.  (Read 6328 times)

ESM_John

Just got a new book.
« on: Jun 19, 2006, 04:34 pm »
Well, my director gave me his college book from his stage management class. I read it cover to cover and it was amazing. I'm so glad i read it. The book basically talks about all aspects of the theatre, stage management and running shows effieicntly.

I loved the beginning which basically says all the good characteristics of a stage manager.

The book is called "Stage Management" by Lawerence Stern. The copy my director gave me was the 2nd edition. Hes up to the 8th edition, which just arrived on my doorstep.

I think its a great book for any new or old SM. Enjoy guys.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Just got a new book.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2006, 07:39 pm »
Lawrence Sterns book is basically the bible for stage managers. I have a copy which spends a hell of a lot of it's time on loan to ASM's and wannabe SM's.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2006, 09:02 pm »
And the cool thing about the 8th edition is that it's the first one where SMNetwork is mentioned.  Went through several emails and releases with Mr. Stern about that.  He's a very pleasant fellow!  (Look for us in  the appendix.)

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2006, 01:36 am »
Congrats Kay! And cheers to SMNetwork!
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2006, 11:47 pm »
While I enjoy Stern's book, I much prefer Tom Kelly's Backstage Guide to Stage Management.

ESM_John

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2006, 09:43 pm »
While I enjoy Stern's book, I much prefer Tom Kelly's Backstage Guide to Stage Management.
Funny enough, i just bought this book too. I think its a great read, it had a lot of practical info in it and i really liked it. Thank you!

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2006, 08:02 pm »
I also have the Backstage Guide to Stage Management, among a few others.  I really enjoy reading all different types of books on Stage Management to get a variety of opinions.  I have really made my own style based on personal experience mixed with the style of others from books and mentors.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

IvoryWonder

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2006, 04:18 am »
Its so true that we as SMs must learn from eachothers as friends and mentors. Books are a great resourse and I love them, but I think they will be useless if we don't take into account the experiences of all the SMs arround us. Thanks so much for suggesting that.

riotous