Author Topic: Interviews?  (Read 5357 times)

rjstevens

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/beliza21
Interviews?
« on: Mar 03, 2005, 11:17 pm »
I'm currently working as an intern at ATL, and have been sending out resumes like mad.  I'm based in Pittsburgh PA, and currently living in Kentucky...
So, here's my beef.  I've had a few calls/e-mails about interviews.  But, of course, some of these interviews are pretty far away, far enough that I can not physically get to due to my current work load (Humana Festival craziness) and the fact that I can not afford to fly or drive to most of these places.
Any thoughts?  I don't want to back mayself into a corner here by saying "Oh I have no money" "Yes I am working for nothing right now" "I don't have a lengthy time off for 3 months" (which of course means I'm employed = good; no time for a prospective company = bad)
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Rebecca  :)

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Interviews?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2005, 07:35 am »
Phone interview?

I am currently studying in Rome for the semester, but I am also applying to SM internships for the summer. I already had one phone interview where they actually called me from the states. (Even if I didnt get the job, I guess it was nice to know they cared enough to make a really long distance call.)

So maybe just say that while you're working and are thus unable to come all the way out for a face to face interview, you would be happy to have a phone interview... or maybe an interview with a Webcam? Or maybe there is a theater conference somewhere near you where the theater may be going to interview people? Maybe you could meet at some mid point so you dont have to drive as far?
The other thing is that I think if they want to interview you, they'll work with you to have it happen one way or another. And theater work seems to be a contractual sort of work... I'm sure they wont think it's ODD that you're employed at one place and interviewing for your next job. And your intern experience makes you more valuable to them, in terms of experience, they want you bc it's on your resume... dont feel silly about saying what you do now and where you plan on getting to.

Eh, just my two cents... which is not worth as much in Euros. But good luck-- let us know how it goes!

lejenna

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
Interviews?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2005, 02:05 pm »
Quote from: "Debo123"
I'm sure they wont think it's ODD that you're employed at one place and interviewing for your next job... dont feel silly about saying what you do now and where you plan on getting to.

I completely agree.  You can interview through alternate media or try and find a way for them to come to you for the interview.  Most theater companies / intern programs understand the constraints of travel conditions, and really if they don't, do you want to work for them?  Also, find ways to spin your experience.  Right now you seem to be making excuses for your experience.  Don't.  Instead say something like "I've committed to such and such project until this date" even if it's just volunteering or an unpaid internship.  (It shows that you honor your commitments.) Potential employers will respect you more for a statement like that, and it'll make them want to hire you because once they have you committed they know that you'll honor your commitment to *them* as well.  Hooray!  And good luck on the interview process!

rjstevens

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/beliza21
Interviews?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2005, 02:48 pm »
Fabulous!  
Guess my beef comes in with the wide range of attitudes I've gotten regarding interviews.
Thanks,
Rebecca

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
interviews
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2005, 09:26 am »
I've found that if a company was really interested in me, they were fine with a phone interview, or with working out something.  I've gotten two jobs from phone interviews, because there was no way that I could have gone to meet the person.  One time I was overseas, and one time I was on tour.  I've also had a company offer to see if my tour schedule matched up with their travel schedule, to see if we could meet somewhere for an interview.  I just made sure that when I said I was in a job, I was making sure that they knew when I would be done with that job and available for them.

-Centaura

riotous