Poll

Would you be interested in purchasing it?

Yes - absolutely
Yes - probably
Maybe - I am not sure
No - I have no use for it
No - What a stupid idea

Author Topic: International Dictionary (Theatre Words)  (Read 5405 times)

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
International Dictionary (Theatre Words)
« on: Sep 12, 2006, 01:42 pm »
This is a question for all of you that have toured, are planning on touring, or just like to know how to say "places, please" in other languages.

There is a book called Theatre Words (as I'm sure you know) that has theatre terms in many different languages. How would you feel about an electronic version of the book, that had pronunciations? Would this be more or less helpful than having the actual book?

Carrie

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: International Dictionary (Theatre Words)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2006, 02:26 pm »
It would definately be helpful to have that kind of information available on the internet!  :)
Carrie :)

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2006, 04:16 pm »
Currently, you can go to their website and translate single words for free in selected languages. What I would really love is to be able to buy an electronic edition of the book (I already own one hard copy). Really I would love to be able to know how to pronounce the words, instead of taking a stab in the dark and butchering it badly. Kind of teach-yourself how to speak another language kind of thing. So I am wondering if there is any interest at all or if I am on my own on this. I know SMNetwork may not be the ideal place to post this, but its the only place I know of, so if you have other suggestions for places to post this, please PM me.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2006, 09:39 am »
I'd definately be interested!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2006, 04:50 pm »
I have added a poll to this thread to give it a bit more worth.

What I would suggest you do is in a fortnight or so, provided there are quite a few "Yes I would buy it"'s and "If I saw it I may buy it"'s is email the publishers and/or the author (probably easiest to email the publisher)

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2006, 01:51 pm »
Thanks Mac. That's a great idea.

Tigerrr

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2006, 03:25 pm »
Yeah, I'd probably pick it up.  I've got the hard copy and it's come in handy here in Ottawa, one of the few truly bilingual cities in Canada.  I've done some tech calls at the French theatre here and I'll tell ya, the book has come in handy on a few occasions.  My French is pretty rusty, but having the technical terminology available has been helpful.  Let alone trying to figure out if Stage Right is Cote Cour or Cote Jardin!! :)

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:49 pm »
Thanks Tigerr. You gave me an idea. So if this did happen they may not be able to do all languages at once. If this sounds like something remotely interesting to you, what languages would you be interested. I was thinking English, Spanish, French and Italian might be popular languages. Any thoughts?

riotous