Author Topic: hello from your moderator! (KC's old intro thread)  (Read 26754 times)

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
hello from your moderator! (KC's old intro thread)
« on: Jun 17, 2006, 12:41 pm »
Hello all,

I just wanted to formally introduce myself!  My name is Casey and I am the moderator for this forum regarding students/novice Stage Managers.

It would be great if everyone could introduce themselves, and maybe where they go to school and how long they have been Stage Managing.  SMing is all about connections and resources, and I think that we should use that to our full advantage by getting to know one another and learning about the different approaches and styles that everyone uses.  I can't wait to learn more about each of you!

About Me
First of all, to give you a little information about myself.  I am a student at the University of North Carolina Wilmington receiving my BA in Theatre and Spanish.  I have done a wide variety of shows for my university, but I also work downtown.  We have over 12 miscellaneous theatre companies in Wilmington which is wonderful!  I mainly work for the Thalian Association.  My last show was Footloose which was so much fun and I learned so much.  After I graduate in December I plan to go to graduate school to get my MFA, or either plan to take an internship somewhere to gain more experience.

Why this forum?
Being a student myself, I am so happy to be moderating this forum because I can relate.  I also think that this forum is the foundation for the others, since all Stage Managers start out as either students or novices.  With time and practice, students and novices then become the professionals. Therefore, this forum is designed for the ones who are still learning so much about the craft!

A few last things..

First of all, everyone please keep the posts clean and on topic.  As you can see, many other forums have been added, so please make sure tht you look at each one before deciding to post your topic.  Although it could hold relevance in more than one forum, please make sure that you post in the most appropriate place. 

Also, if you have any questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.  I'll be glad to help you.

Finally, I will be adding some things to this forum, like polls and other exciting links/resources for student Stage Managers, so stay tuned for more great things!

Thanks,

Casey

KC_SM_0807

Edit: stickied! -PSMK

EDIT (10/23/2007): KC's been gone from the boards for a while so I'm stepping in as moderator for the foreseeable future.  -PSMKay
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2007, 01:32 am by PSMKay »
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

luv2stgmg

• New to Town
  • I just keep going and going and going..........
    • View Profile
Re: hello from your moderator!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2006, 08:46 pm »
Give it up for KC_SM_0807 for modding!! Woooooooooooooo! Thanks muches!!  ;D
Live well, laugh often, love much, & keep it real!

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2006, 11:07 pm »
Quiero estudiar español en colegial también!  Estudié para cuatro años en preparatoria, pero en yo no tengo muchas oportunidades de practicar. Soy considerando ir a España durante mi menor o año mayor como un proyecto conjunto de idioma/teatro.

For the rest of you who don't hablo español, I said that I want to study spanish in college too.  I had four years in high school but don't have many opportunities to practice.  So, I'm considering going to Spain during my junior or senior as a joint language/theater project. 

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2006, 11:16 pm »
I know this doesn't have much to do with introducing our GREAT new moderator, but I am also a Spanish major. I'm going to Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas and last summer I had the opportunity to study in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. I would HIGHLY reccommend this city to anyone wanting to study abroad. I went with a program from my school and had the time of my life. I have been to Spain also, and loved it there too. Maybe all of us Spanish/Theatre nuts should hang out some time :)

Emily

ps. TechGal you said you want to study Spanish in college and I'm guessing you haven't started yet, but if you want any help/proofreading for anything for Spanish PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address. I'd be more than happy to help. :)

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2006, 11:35 pm »
Hi, Emily!  Yes, I start my freshman year at Bellarmine University the end of August.  Thanks so much for the proof reading offer!!! I just might take you up on it sometime.  At this point though, I haven't even registered for classes yet.:)   I still have to take a Spainsh placement test.  I'm hoping to be able to test out of the first level. 

Here's to theater and spanish!!!  ;D

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2006, 06:17 pm »
That's awesome.

It's so cool to see how many different people do Theatre with a foreign language.  I'm the only Theatre and Spanish major at my University, so I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

I definitely think that being bilingual helps so much, even in Stage Managing.  There are so many opportunities to explore new genres and areas of theatre that some people may not be able to do.  Also, with the constant immigration into the United States, I definitely think that Spanish theatre could be a gold mine here if people really put the effort into it. 

See, we learn something new about each other every day! 

Everyone feel free to post here and tell us all a little about yourself, Spanish speaker or not!  :)

"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

SMuppet

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:02 pm »
I'm in my last semester at Grand Canyon University in Phx, Arizona. I will be gradutating with my BA in theatre arts, but I have been Stage Managing there since my freshman year, at leat 4/5 shows per season. I've learned alot, and had a great time, and I'm looking at applying for Grad School with my (free?) time in the Spring. I also work with a couple of small local companies, as well as some churches and high schools. Had they not closed our doors in May, I would have reccomended it as a great small program. Hello to everyone here! Its nice to still have a way to make connections and learn from those with so much more experience than myself! :D

samthestagemanager

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2006, 01:50 pm »
Hi. My name is Samantha. I'm a junior at California State University, Fresno. I've been stage managing since my junior year of high school. I stage manage for dept. shows and also for various theatres in the community. I hope to go to grad school after I graduate and get my MFA.

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2006, 03:43 am »
Hello, my name is Derek. I'm a junior theatre major at the University of Central Arkansas in Conway. I have been SMing for about 6 years and am currently doing department productions as well as working as a SM for a Professional Road House that host some 290 events every year. I plan to attend grad school for my MFA (possibly from the University of Alabama, University of Iowa, or the University of Deleware).
Derek A. Fuzzell

lydiaelaine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SELU
  • Current Gig: 3rd Annual Hammond Horror Festival: 24 Hour Play Festival
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2006, 03:56 am »
Hi! I'm Lydia Caballero. I'm a sophmore at Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, LA. I have been stage managing for about a year now. I have stage managed Waiting for Godot(my first time stage managing, and it was amazing) and A Night Of One Acts. We are actually holding auditions tomorrow for the show I'm stage managing, 4.48 Psychosis. I'm a theatre major and I want to minor in Spanish, which I think is really awesome that so many of you are also involved in. I am always looking for new ideas for stage management so if anyone has a way that works for them for well... anything...let me know! Hehe! Nice to meet you all!
Stage manager: Totally responsible for everything.

baaaldwin

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2007, 11:30 am »
Hello from the other side of the pond!

I am in my first year of a foundation degree studying theatre arts - management.
I've been working in theatre for about 3 years now, and its cool.

I live in England, in a town about an hour away from London. Um... I can see the beach from my window, and I use and AppleMac laptop.

This is a cool site, although i just posted an enquiry and have realised its in the wrong section so now I'm a bit worried ill get an angry email...

HundredthSheep

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2007, 11:14 am »
Hi, all!

I'm currently a sophomore at Williams College, and I've been getting my feet wet in terms of SMing over the past year or so. I think I'm hooked!

At the moment, I'm just looking to gain more SMing experience. I'm a bit undecided about my future...but it will have something to do with the theatre! :0) That's for sure.

Good to meet you all. Unfortunately, I speak very little Spanish, haha.

Theatre_Junkie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:48 am »
Hello all!  I am currently finishing up my BFA in technical theatre at The University of Wisconsin-Superior.  I have been working in theatre for 11 years about 6 of which have been tech  Although stage management is what I love to do the most I also design lighting, costuming and am fairly proficient at scenic work as well.  I have been lucky to not only stage manage at school but also at community and professional theatres in my area.  I am currently getting applications ready for apprenticeships.  Wish me luck!

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2007, 02:39 pm »
Good Luck!!!

I just did the whole internship search thing... luckily I found one and was offered a job yesterday actually!  Just make sure that you look really well and find all of the best options.  There is also a topic in this forum about internships, so you might want to look into that!

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2007, 04:30 pm »
Everyone else was doing it, so I figured why not.
Hi everyone, i'm Phil I go a community college in Upstate NY with a major in Liberal Arts and a minor in Theatre(technical concentration.) I went to a high school that a fledgling(on a good day)drama group of about 30 people with 5 of them being backstage. Subsequently I did a bit of everything including stage management/crew, carpentry/elec, properties, lighting, sound, fly and anything else that came up. About three years ago I walked into a local rep. Theatre company and there I have stayed, being as small as we are I have also many different things here. My true "talent"(supposedly", or so I am told)is audio engineering. I am sometimes known as simply- "Phil the sound guy"
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

riotous