Author Topic: fake cigarettes for under-age actors  (Read 24664 times)

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
fake cigarettes for under-age actors
« on: Jan 14, 2006, 03:59 pm »
I'm looking for a realistic type of cigarette that can be smoked on stage. We've looked at the cigarretes that have the powder in them that you just puff out, but my director wants something they can actually light and smoke. The actor is underage, and obviously can't really smoke on stage, but I was wondering if anybody knows of a stage cigarette that would work. Maybe a cigarette without tobacco....

thanks in advance for any advice/help!
-isha
~isha

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:09 pm »
Whilst there are clove (and other) cigarets arround which may be viable, you REALLY need to be careful with under aged people and cigarettes - even rolled up paper.

You will need to check that the venue will allow you to have fire on stage if you are lighting something too.

How far are the actors from the audience? If they are a reasonable distance, a rolled up piece of paper works just as well as a regular cigarette.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2006, 01:48 am »
I think they found it in a joke or magic shop but a some years ago a propmaster brought in fake cigs and cigars that simply have a pre-"lit" end and glow when you appear to be smoking (as in, sucking in) but no actual matches, tobacco or any other nasties are involved - some even have some form of talcum that comes off to give the appearance of ash -

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Fake Cigs for Underage Kids!?!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2006, 12:11 pm »
I've seen these fake cigs at a magic and joke shop. BEWARE.
The effect of smoke is caused by blowing out - not in - as you wouldn't want to inhale the powdery substance that is supposed to resemble the smoke.

Can you get away with simply not lighting actual cigarettes?
Why are underage children required to appear to be smoking anyway?
Is it essential to the story line? Plot? Moral implications?
Ordo ab chao

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:29 pm »
yes, it's for bye bye birdie, and Kim actually talks about smoking, so we can't exactly take it out. (the character is pretending to be street-smart and offers another character a smoke on her cigarette. It's a big chunk of text, just her talking about how she smokes and does other "older kid stuff".)

no we can't get away with not lighting a real cigarette because it's against school rules to have tobacco anywhere on the grounds...kinda stinks..but that's how highschool theater goes.

I don't know, we've really been looking, we just can't find anything...any suggestions would help...and I am going to look into seeing if we can light rolled up paper somehow
-isha
~isha

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2006, 01:00 pm »
Go to any health food store, and buy dandelion leaves (yes, it will resemble pot)

Then go to a tobacco store, buy empty tubes (with filters!) and a automatic roller (so you don't have to deal with rolling and licking and making a general mess).

then, instead of putting tobacco into the roller, you put the dandelion leaves in there, and roll a dandelion cigarette.

No tobacco, you can light it and it will puff and smoke (although it will taste nasty!) and also will comply with many theatre and school standards;' the smoke dissipates fast, and you're not putting anything nasty into your body.

OR...there's also a brand of cigarette called "Eclipse," which are herbal cigarettes, tobacco free, and the smoke dissipates FAST as well and the best part, there really isn't any odor.    This is probably the best suggestion, but they can't be found everywhere -- you may have to order them, or purchase them at a specialty tobacco shop.  Unfortunately, they taste like a campfire...but they work.

good luck!
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

oso_te_great

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 09:46 pm »
Quote from: "isha"
yes, it's for bye bye birdie, and Kim actually talks about smoking, so we can't exactly take it out. (the character is pretending to be street-smart and offers another character a smoke on her cigarette. It's a big chunk of text, just her talking about how she smokes and does other "older kid stuff".)

no we can't get away with not lighting a real cigarette because it's against school rules to have tobacco anywhere on the grounds...kinda stinks..but that's how highschool theater goes.

I don't know, we've really been looking, we just can't find anything...any suggestions would help...and I am going to look into seeing if we can light rolled up paper somehow
-isha

I just got done with BBB (the songs are REALLY hard to get out of your head, trust me)

what we did was cut the whole dialouge, Kim says "btw, have you got another cig, i seem to have run out"  then Mr. Macaffe says "I am not an old man.."
Malcolm Foster
Seattle Academy Class of 2007
University of Montana Class of 2011

Erin_Candice

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek
  • Affiliations: None... but open to invitations!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:27 pm »
All the theatres I've worked at use Ecstasy cigarettes.  They are 100% tobacco free/herbal and available at most tobacco shops.  The only draw backs are they smell like pot and don't taste great.  I've also heard of actors requesting lettuce cigarettes.  Tobacco cigarettes are becoming hard to find in theaters with indoor smoking laws and a plethora of people finally quitting.
"At three minutes past eight, you must dream."
~Sir Ralph Richardson

Go to http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek NOW!

riotous