Author Topic: Emergency Forms  (Read 21865 times)

TroyPSM

• Tourist
  • My Fiance and I in New York during Spring Break.
    • View Profile
    • Troy University Theatre Website
Re: Emergency Forms
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2006, 03:27 am »
Something else I urge everyone, not just cast/company members on particular show, is to go to www. and fill out the Emergency Card info.  Basically you go through and answer questions about your health, family history/health, what medication you're on, if you have any allergies, past surgery, in case of emergency contact, and any/all health problems you may be having.  You enter in all this information and make an account and then within a couple of days you get a card in the mail.  It's the same size as a drivers license or credit care and it fits in your wallet.  There is a code printed on the card that is unique to you.  If you have an accident or suddenly get horribly ill, a paramedic and/or doctor can the take card, enter the code number, and access your complete medical history, problems, medications you're on and allergies you may have.  I've been battling cancer since I was 7 so it's great for me to have the card b/c I've had to go to the hospital suddenly and no one knows what all is going on.  You don't have to be insured by Blue Cross Blue Shield to get the card.  But it is wonderful.  I try to tell as many people as possible so they can have the extra piece of mind.  I try to encourage anyone in cast, crews, friends and family about the card.  My whole family has their own cards as well as my fiance.  Just something to think about!
Cassie Robinson

"I can't, I have rehearsal."

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #16 on: Aug 12, 2006, 08:40 am »
Cassie -
That sounds great, but did you forget to finish typing the website? Or is this a site that you set up and then process? I'd love to explore this web-based emercengy medical info.
Thanks!

TroyPSM

• Tourist
  • My Fiance and I in New York during Spring Break.
    • View Profile
    • Troy University Theatre Website
« Reply #17 on: Aug 12, 2006, 01:25 pm »
Oops, sorry about that.  I typed the message and meant to go back and double check the exact address and enter the website before I sent it.

The Website is newbielink:http://www.myepi.net [nonactive]

It's free or anyone whether they have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance or not.  It's great b/c if you ever are in an accident and the paramedics need to get you and know your history, medications, and/or allegeries they know what to do.  Same thing if you go into the Emergency.  I have some serious allergies to many different medications so it's very important me to have the card.  And I've had to use the card once a couple weeks ago when I had to go to the ER while I was out of town and had a minor concussion.  It's a good idea for anyone and everyone to have.  Sorry about not entering the website!  Hope it helps!
Cassie Robinson

"I can't, I have rehearsal."

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #18 on: Aug 13, 2006, 10:08 am »
What a great resource! Thanks!

wade

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2006, 11:48 pm »
i am going to be sming a kids show, and was curious as to if it is necessary to have the form. The local school district has a forum that must be notarized, I was going to use that and modify the district name to the play company, but the producers told me they didn’t want to deal with the paperwork and worry of the parents getting it notarized

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #20 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:36 am »
I know in Australia, ANY form that has legal implications (ie an Emergancy form) MUST be signed by a legal guardian if the person is under 18.

Personally, I think your producer(s) need a good kick in the pants if their sole reason for not wanting parent/guardian signed forms is "We don't want to bother the parents, and we don't want to deal with the hassel" - when doing a childrens show, you must expect these sorts of things, and it certainly gives the parents peace of mind to know that their children will get correct care provided for them.

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:23 pm »
It's really quite easy to become a Notary Public, and not a bad idea for forms like this.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

LCook

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://chainedlightning.deviantart.com
« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2006, 08:15 pm »
my parents are notary publics, so I asked them about this. They said that even if someone is  over 18 and certified, the stage manager for a show couldn't notarize documents for anyone in their company because it's a conflict of interests or something or other. Basically, you know them and have a reason of your own to natarize their work other than money so...

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #23 on: Oct 14, 2006, 07:14 pm »
I think as long as you have some kind of form, I'm not sure why it would need to be notarized.  I understand that schools and kids bring a lot more rules into situations, but I would say, if they don't want to deal with the notarization, that that shouldn't stop you from developing some kind of basic "I'm allergic to" "I have this medical issue" "They can/can't do this to me at an emergency room" & "If I fall over, call ###-###-####".  I will not work with any group where I have responsibilty without knowing that I have emergency contact info for them.

Do you know the reason why the other form needs to be notarized?  Or is this a common law that I just haven't run into yet?

-Centaura

PencilQueen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2006, 11:58 am »
Do you know the reason why the other form needs to be notarized?

That's just what I was wondering, Centaura.  Around here, kids require these same kinds of forms for all other extracurricular activities, too---e.g. team sports, Scouts, dance, you-name-it, as well as for school files, and an abbreviated version for excursions and field trips.  ALL of these forms contain *relevant* health info.  Any adult who heads a sports team, Scout troop, dance class etc  MUST KNOW if one of the kids has diabetes, hemophilia, is subject to epileptic seizures, or deathly allergic to some commonly found substance.  If not, the child could be at risk if something were to happen during practice/meetings/classes regarding the condition.  ALL of these forms are signed by a parent or guardian, but NONE of them is notarized.  That seems a little legally overzealous to me.  Is requiring notarization typical elsewhere?

riotous