Author Topic: Drinking Games  (Read 10354 times)

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Drinking Games
« on: Sep 18, 2006, 03:20 am »
...it’s probably best not to tech a show while under the influence of alcohol – but come on, many people have done.  Doesn’t  mean everyone should do it.

Well Matthew, personally, I'm a fan of the "hold please" drinking game during tech. But to each their own.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Drinking Games
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2006, 07:29 am »
Other good drinking games during tech

1. "Up a point, down a point" - anytime the lighting designer changes a cue, only to change it right back, drink.
2. "Does a cue go here?" Anytime time the lighting designer turns to you and ask if a cue goes in a certain location, drink.
3. "Were there stairs in the rehearsal hall?"  Anytime an actor asks about a piece of set that was taped out for the last five weeks, you reminded them about, but they still never really understood, drink.
4. "Can we take that one more time" When the director request to take a sequence one more time, even though nothing was changed from the last time, and no new cues were added, drink. (Note; if he does it twice in a row, drink twice, three times, three times, etc.)
5. "Where's the scenic designer?" Every time the director wants the scenic designer, and they are not in the room, drink.  (DOUBLE SHOT IF THE DESIGNER IS ASLEEP IN THE THEATRE.)
6. "They are a Servant too?"  Anytime the costume designer is shocked that a certain member of the ensemble needs a specific costume, even though it was a) discussed in the production meeting, b) note given in the report and c) discussed with the deisgner, drink.
7. 'What throne?"  Anytime the prop shop seems shocked about a prop in the show, drink.  (Drink twice, if they have forgotten about or late with a prop SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED in the script, aka, Othello's handkerchief.)
8. "We can't find . . . "  Everytime someone from the deck crew looses something drink:
8a. If they can't find a hand prop, drink once.
8b. If they can't find an actor, drink twice.
8c. If they can't find a scenic piece larger then a bed, drink three times.
9. "We didn't rehease that" Drink for everytime you get a transtion or section of the play, which for some reason was not rehearsed in the rehearsal hall.
10. "One down"  Drink every time you turn you page in the script.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2006, 02:13 pm by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
Drinking Games
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2006, 07:50 am »
Other good drinking games during tech

1. "Up a point, down a point" - anytime the lighting designer changes a cue, only to change it right back, drink.
2. "Does a cue go here?" Anytime time the lighting designer turns to you and ask if a cue goes in a certain location, drink.
3. "Where their stairs in the rehearsal hall?"  Anytime an actor asks about a piece of set that was taped out for the last five weeks, you reminded them about, but they still never really understood, drink.
4. "Can we take that one more time" When the director request to take a sequence one more time, even though nothing was changed from the last time, and no new cues were added, drink. (Note; if he does it twice in a row, drink twice, three times, three times, etc.)
5. "Where's the scenic designer?" Every time the director wants the scenic designer, and they are not in the room, drink.  (DOUBLE SHOT IF THE DESIGNER IS ASLEEP IN THE THEATRE.)
6. "They are a Servant too?"  Anytime the costume designer is shocked that a certain member of the ensemble needs a specific costume, even though it was a) discussed in the production meeting, b) note given in the report and c) discussed with the deisgner, drink.
7. 'What throne?"  Anytime the prop shop seems shocked about a prop in the show, drink.  (Drink twice, if they have forgotten about or late with a prop SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED in the script, aka, Othello's handkerchief.)
8. "We can't find . . . "  Everytime someone from the deck crew looses something drink:
8a. If they can't find a hand prop, drink once.
8b. If they can't find an actor, drink twice.
9. "We didn't rehease that" Drink for everytime you get a transtion or section of the play, which for some reason was not rehearsed in the rehearsal hall.
10. "One down"  Drink every time you turn you page in the script.

Are you trying to have fun or get Alcohol poising?
Derek A. Fuzzell

kjdiehl

• Permanent Resident
  • The Turtle Moves.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
Drinking Games
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2006, 10:39 am »

HA!!!

I chuckled throughout reading the whole thing, but that one made me GUFFAW!!! Cheers, Matt. Did you make that list yourself? I've never seen that one before and it's some funny $#!t.   :D

(btw, can a mod grab these last few posts and move 'em to a new Drinking Games thread?)
-Kris Diehl, AEA SM

"Somewhere in the city there's a stage manager waiting,
standing in the shadows with a clipboard in hand..."

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking Games
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2006, 10:54 am »
Look - I moved the thread.

No, I made those up this morning.

Sadly, all I had to do is think over the past three years of techs to come up with that.

(And yes, we did loose a very large piece of scenery on stage . . . I had to bit my toung to inform them that it was most likely in the air, one the chain hosit, where they put, before intermission - where indeed it was hanging.)

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2006, 01:40 pm »
Matthew,

Very, very funny!

Have taken the liberty of making one small edit ("Where their stairs in the rehearsal hall?" changed to "Were there stairs in the rehearsal hall?) and fowarding to  my favourite lighting designer and two favourite SMs (properly credited to you, natch.)

A drinking game classic!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2006, 02:15 pm »
Scott:

Thanks for the edit - typing early in the morning is hard.  I went back and did the modify in the origional post.

Now . . . the question is what to drink at the tech table.  For years, I have asked my LX crew to install a blender so just once in my career I can call a hold, and then have the sound of my blender making a pina colda be heard in the house. 

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2006, 09:51 am »
On my recent production of Hedda Gabler, we came up with the rules for a drinking game over headset one night.  One of the rules was that you had to drink everytime Tesman said "Uh?"  which was actually scripted, though our Tesman had a tendency to throw in quite a few of his own.  My LBO decided to actually write down the rules and then tally during a show one night exactly how many times we would have to drink.  He stopped about halfway through Act 1 when we were up to 84, 68 of which were Tesman's "Uh's?" 

If I could add a rule to the tech game, though, it would have to be take a drink everytime a director turns to you and asks "Someone is still working, right" when you're holding.

As for a question of what to drink, I'm going to need a martini shaker, an ice bucket, and everything needed for a Mexican Martini at my tech table!

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2006, 10:23 am »
If I took a drink everytime someone said, "While we're stopped," I'd be drunker than Cooter Brown, as they say down here.
"This time for sure."

Tigerrr

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:08 pm »
OMG that's hilarious! 

I'm just thinking of how completely wasted I'd be only halfway through some of my techs, even if I only drank lite beer!

;D

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:54 pm »
Yeah, the pen that is permanently attached to my hand during tech?  It's actually a small vial of absinthe....

;)  That list is great! 
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2006, 01:24 am »
here is a great one for anyone doing "The Wizard of Oz".  The rules are simple, anytime someone says "follow" you take a drink.

P.S.  In the first 15-20 mins. of the show you're gone.

P.P.S I would like to make it clear that I have never played this game during a rehersal or performence, and I DO NOT ENCOURAGE IT, but we did take the CD to the drinking table.  (yes a designated table w/ players club seating on our summer stock rehersal pad)

Lester

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, IATSE
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2006, 02:30 pm »
We have a headset beer game.  Basically anytime anyone makes a mistake, because we usually swear immediately someone calls BEER on headset, and the person who swore owes that person a beer.  Generally the game evens itself out over a week long run and people are only up two or three beers at most, but once, with a particularly potty mouthed lx op, he ran up a tab with at least a sixpack with every other person on headset.

Come closing night party, hilarity ensued.

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2006, 02:24 am »
If that happend with a few people I knew, they would owe a keg by the end of the first show!!!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2006, 09:00 am »
I often introduce "Casing and Slabbing" into shows I work on as a way to promote high quality work.

How it works: When someone makes a relatively bad co@k up, someone on cans calls out "Case Point NAME_OF_PERSON" - this includes actors etc. We write it up on a board, and at the end of the week, the person with the most points buys a slab of DECENT beer for the cast and crew to enjoy that night. I also purchase a case of softdrink at the start of a shows run for the crew to drink, and the crew member with the most case points when the current case of soft drink runs out buys the next one. Case points are erased only when you make a purchase (either of beer or softdrink)

When someone does a serious co@k up which ruins the performance, someone on cans calls out "Slab him/her" - if everyone else on cans agree, that person must buy a round of drinks for everyone after the show. The person who made the co@k up is, of course, not allowed to vote.

riotous