Author Topic: Cruise Ships  (Read 9559 times)

kwasiba

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Cruise Ships
« on: May 17, 2005, 04:28 pm »
Does anyone have any advice for applying on cruiseships?? I've submitted via email and sent resume's to the HR dept's at HQ for all the big ones. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!:)

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Cruise Ships
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 02:17 pm »
Quote from: "kwasiba"
Does anyone have any advice for applying on cruiseships?? I've submitted via email and sent resume's to the HR dept's at HQ for all the big ones. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!:)

In the words of a friend of mine who worked for a large cruise line, "Don't ever work on a boat."  He worked as a techie...doing lights.  Apparently he also had several other duties on the boat that had nothing to do with lighting!!  Not only that, since he was a representative of the cruise line, he had a uniform and smiled 24/7.  Just an FYI.  :)
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

Bill60630

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • http://
Cruise Ships
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 01:28 pm »
I actually work on a cruise ship right now and have been doing so for the last 6 years.  I came from several years on tour and have to stay I prefer not loading a bus & truck every night.  It has it's disadvantages ofcourse like the time away from home and the very corporate approach to things but I do like seeing the ports and producing new shows every week.  I work with Royal Caribbean International and you can contact Jan Melzer Thomas there for job opportunities.

Bill
drop me a line if you need more info

kwasiba

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Cruise Ships
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 05:06 pm »
Thanks! I did email her, but I'm not sure the addy I was given was correct. Any infor or suggestions are greatly appreciated...I really want to do this. How long did it take you between applying and being hired? How did they do the interview? Was it a phone interview? What position are you in? Any tips???

I appreciate your help. :)

goaliegibson

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Cruise Ships
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2005, 08:46 pm »
Hey hey!

I was just on a cruise ship for a trip and I met all the techies there.  They all seemed to like it.  The one girl I was talking to Applied for a job on friday, Had an interview on saturday and was on the ship on sunday.  It was for carnival cruise line.  I would love to work on a ship myself.

supershorty

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Cruise Ships
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2005, 09:44 am »
I know an SM who now works for a cruise line (I believe it's Carnival) as the heaed of entertainment or some such thing.  She just started recently, so I'm not sure how much she likes it yet.
-Katie Paige

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
Cruise Ships
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2005, 09:53 am »
I have a friend who had an interview for a job as a sound/LX tech (though her background is stage management) with a cruise line. the interview was in London, they rang her while she was on the bus on the way home from the interview and asked her to fly out to Brasil the next day to join a ship for 6 weeks. if she liked it she could then go back to London for a few weeks before taking up a longer contract -6 months or a year i think. I cant recall which company Seabourne  maybe? She seemed to quite enjoy it and learned a lot about tech stuff very quickly! She only sent brief emails from shipping offices around the globe for some years anyway!

Good luck!
ChaCha
ChaCha

casper

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Cruise Ships
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2005, 10:39 am »
Does anyone know what the pay scale is?  What about health benefits?

kwasiba

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Cruise Ships
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2005, 11:59 am »
Well, it looks like my efforts have paid off!!! I have been accepted by Royal Caribbean, although, the bad news is that I need to get off the prescription medication I am currently on in order to pass the physical. Apparently it's a pretty rigorous nautical physical, and I need to have them out of my system for 6 months. I think it's because it's a "preexisting condition" which their health benefits won't cover. Full health coverage kicks in the minute you board the ship. And the position I was offered paid $1150 US/month for a 6 month contract.

Hope that was helpful to everyone else too.....now I've just gotta work on getting my passport and passing the physical. Oh, also...the ship is out of puerto Rico and I'm responsible for getting myself there for the first contract she said.

I'll let you know if I get any other info!