Author Topic: Coping with the unemployment duldrums...  (Read 5789 times)

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Coping with the unemployment duldrums...
« on: Feb 02, 2005, 01:12 pm »
So I dont' know about any of you....but I tend to work "so hard" when I actually have a show, that when I don't, I tend to totally veg out and then wonder where the day went.

My current way to cope with this is to type (to a very patient friend who says he actually enjoys them) my own rehearsal or performance report for the day.....the topics include "Entertainment" (what cds, dvds, I've enjoyed etc), and "Accomplished"...for things I've done...I've found that it keeps me more on task, wanting to actually have something to type in the accomplished section, whether it be things like reconciling bank statements, reorganizing a cabinet, or trying new recipes.  Or applying for jobs...right!

I dunno...silly, but kinda fun and I definitely have accomplished more in the last few days that I've started this.  

Erin

jpz

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2005, 11:38 pm »
Why am I not surprised?  :wink:

Actually that's not a bad idea. It's hard not to be lazy when you know no one's watching... I've had the same problem lately. But if there's a "producer" to answer to, then you better be worth their money!

BTW, what's the show called?

-Jason

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Manicure/Pedicures
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2005, 09:09 am »
I am a big fan of these.

I think they make all the bad things in the world go away.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

juliz1106

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: TYA Stage Manager, Marriott Theatre Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2005, 05:09 pm »
I agree with Matthew...

I love smnetwork.

These posts make me happy, and make me remember that, yes, there will be work again... And in the meantime, I can listen to all of you talk about all the things that make our jobs so hard, and so awful, and so wonderful, and so utterly what I love to do...

Thanks  :)