Author Topic: Calendar programs on PC's  (Read 7629 times)

Frog

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
Calendar programs on PC's
« on: Dec 18, 2004, 01:07 pm »
I've been trying to find a calendar-type program that I can use on my computer.  I want to make the master calendar for our show, Much Ado about Nothing, and be able to quickly look at and change the calendar on my laptop during rehearsal.  When I was playing around with my friend's mac, I noticed this absolutely awesome program called ICal and immediately fell in love with it.  Unfortunately for me, being a die-hard PC user, I cannot download that program nor find one elsewhere that it as easy to use, practical, etc.   Any ideas of similar programs that are downloadable or have a low cost?  Or should I suck it up and eventually buy a mac (which people tell me will solve all my problems).

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2004, 04:16 pm »
I just build calendars in excel or word (depending on the computer savvy of my department heads) - and then adjust as we go - takes a few minutes to set up but once done, you can edit at will.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
buy the mac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2004, 06:11 pm »
I don't know - I liked the 'buy a mac' option, but then again, I'm a diehard Mac user.  No other advice, on tour I rely on a physical date book, I wouldn't be able to spring the laptop out in enough time to be practical to use it for my calendar.

-Centaura

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2004, 12:06 am »
i love my word template - can save as for anything i'm doing and it's easy. i can color code, use the header and footer, copy and paste. plus it's wonderful for me to use on the macs at work and my pc at home. i can also email it out to anyone no matter which syatem they have.

Didaskalos

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2004, 08:46 pm »
I do my production calendars in Excel.  There are some tricks that you have to know to make your life easier, but it's extremely flexible.  If you aren't familiar with it, IM me and I'll help you learn the ropes.
Do it right the first time;  do it right every time.

FallenRain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2004, 03:58 am »
By all means, share the tips and tricks!  I love learning new things about Excel :)

Erin_Candice

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek
  • Affiliations: None... but open to invitations!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2005, 03:57 pm »
Generally, I find the Word calendar wizard to be the easiest route, but there are plenty of programs on the market.  You can also use Outlook, but I can't remember if you can print from there. I wouldn't suggest getting a Mac just because you like one program.  Bill Gates is now the majority stock holder and it's only a matter of time before PC and Mac become interchangable.  As someone once said to me, you're basically paying more money for a little light-up apple.
"At three minutes past eight, you must dream."
~Sir Ralph Richardson

Go to http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek NOW!

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
iCal
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2005, 12:38 pm »
Looks like we should start a Macs vs. PC slugfest in some other thread...

I like iCal on the computer, and I'm interested in being able to make the calendar available over the internet, BUT I hate its printing capabilities.  HATE HATE HATE!  It doesn't show the end times, and if there's too much information for its little box, it just lops off and doesn't print the info.  So you get a date with text like "12:00 Pr 1:00 4:30 Meal 7:15 ..." and who would possibly find that useful?
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

Satan

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2005, 08:04 am »
you really want to try actual calendars then try the sunbird program from the mozilla project

downside is that the program is still in development... up side is that it will always be free because it is open source software

i've been using it in conjuction with their Firefox browser and Thunderbird email client on my design computer - i found that haveing ms word did some damage to the windows operating system and i ditched it.

obviously that means that i don't have a big word proccessor program like Word or spreadsheet program like Excel on that computer but i got hold of a program called OpenOffice (guess what it's open source! which means FREE!) which started to be developed by Sun Microsystems before they buddied up with Microslave - i mean Microsoft

it'll read and edit all the same document filetypes that the the MS Office product does and for most users is just fine for doing things

on top of all that... it converts to .pdf files... very nice feature to have when your posting your resume on a website you don't have to worry about screen resolutions and printer margins cuz it keeps your formatting and everyone can read it... even if they don't have MS Word

you can find those products @
newbielink:http://www.mozilla.org [nonactive]
newbielink:http://www.openoffice.org [nonactive]
i won't be allowed to goto hell...

i'm a PSM; i'd take over

riotous