Author Topic: Archived announcements about "new" site features  (Read 24262 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Archived announcements about "new" site features
« on: Nov 04, 2006, 05:54 pm »
EDIT: I've consolidated past announcements about board features into one thread.  This will remain here on the Announcements board in case we get some people coming back after a long time away. --PSMK

I'd gotten some comments from members that the old ranking system for post counts was somewhat confusing.  I've retitled them, so now instead of the "Intern" - "ASM" - "Stage Manager" tiers, it's more reflective of how many posts you've made.

The new ranks are as follows:

Never Posted - 0 posts (cannot send PMs)
Just Joined - 1 post
New Member - 25 posts
Contributor - 50 posts
Frequent Contributor - 100 posts
Major Contributor - 200 posts
Call board superstar - 500 posts

There will soon be an opening for a special rank called "Article Author," which will allow you access to some hidden forums that I'm creating for the restoration of the old SMNetwork articles.  Posts in these hidden forums will appear on the new homepage that I'm designing and will put you front and center.  If you're interested in writing essays on the craft, how-to's or major news bulletins about the industry or SMNetwork, please PM me. 
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2008, 06:32 am by PSMKay »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New Child Board: College & Graduate Education
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:50 pm »
A new sub forum has been created in Students & Novices for discussion of undergraduate and graduate schooling.  This includes topics such as applying to schools, ACTF, U/RTA, Internships and Apprenticeships.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New Profile Field - "Current Gig"
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2007, 09:24 am »
I've added yet another custom profile field for folks for listing your current gig.

Please only fill in this field if you're working on something - name of the gig and location would be the ideal format.

For now it will only appear if someone checks your profile, but in the future... who knows?

To use this field, go to your profile.  Under "Modify Profile" choose "Forum Profile Information."  The entry line is down towards the bottom of the screen.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New features!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2007, 10:55 am »
1. Links are back.
The links database from the old site has been resurrected!  You can access it by the "Links" link on your menu bar (or column, if you use the Simplicity theme).

In order to avoid spamming, I've set the links policy to be the same as the PM policy - you must have at least one public post in order to add a link to the database.  Also, I've set it so that all new links must be approved by a moderator or by myself before they become publicly accessible.  To add a link, browse to the category where it belongs and find the "Add Link" link at the bottom of the page.

I will need your help in one respect.  The links that were brought over are intact from the state they were in when the old site crashed back in 2005.  This means that some of them are probably dead at this point.  If you're browsing the links DB and find a dead link, please let me know by PMing me directly.

EDIT - major props to lauria, who went through and found every single broken link and sent me a PM - with many of the new locations included!  Lauria's now sporting a new custom title as a thank you.

2. Articles are back too!
Also, there's a new board down in the Archives, which contains all the original stories from the main page of the old site.  These are a bit creaky, but provided for your reference.

3. Theme adjustments
The "Terra Incognita" theme has been deleted as nobody was using it anyhow.  Simplicity and Babylon themes now have links to the Chat and Links areas.

Other tiny surprises are scattered about as well, but not quite fully implemented yet.  More to come as my day job requires less of my time in the fall/winter months.
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2007, 04:25 pm by PSMKay »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New features!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2007, 06:14 am »
Even more new features!

4. Staff List
A consolidated list of the great folks who are helping out with the site, along with their contact information.  edit - now viewable by everyone, sorry.

5. Buddy Lists
Are you trying to keep tabs on an SMNetwork member?  Are there people that you PM with regularly?  Is there a group of folks you'd like to have on your "Speed Dial" list for SMNet?  You can now add them to your personal Buddy list.  You can do so from a link in their profile, or by choosing the "Edit Buddies" link in your own profile.

6. Trivia Tournament!
Bring it!  We had some interest in setting this up for a bit of a challenge among members.  There's a private trivia tournament just for SMNetwork members over at funtrivia.com.  You'll need to register over there so we can track your progress.  There's a jump link in a thread in the Green Room.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2007, 11:24 pm by PSMKay »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Google talk field added to profiles
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2007, 10:31 pm »
At the request of debos23, I've added a field for your googletalk address to member profiles.  It's in with the other slots for Instant Messenger screen names.

riotous