Author Topic: The True Meaning of a Theatre Family  (Read 2180 times)

Caroline Naveen

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
The True Meaning of a Theatre Family
« on: Nov 11, 2013, 11:14 pm »
Today was my first day of tech as a PSM and even though the whole day was a mess based off of really high expectations and goals (We have 12 hours of tech before opening a show at a professional theatre) what really kept us going was a theatre family. This base is what makes up the true core and center of what theatre is all about. It's teamwork and working together and supporting each other no matter what. As a student stage manager during a first day of tech did I do everything right? Absolutely not! In fact everyone made mistakes, but did we get irritated or upset with each other no. We just kept plugging away at it. The people at this theatre never cease to amaze me. They're all so professional, all so encouraging there are not very many places in the world where you can look up to your mentor as your best friend, the director like a father, the music director like an older brother....so glad and appreciative that my theatre is one of those places. I would do anything for anyone on the creative team, deck crew, or cast for this show and will go great lengths to make them happy which has lead to some absolutely amazing compromises that please both sides very well and will hopefully support and incredible finished product. My heart has never been rooting for a show as much as it does for this one. Note to anyone in leadership if you want great performance from your employees create this kind of environment. This has truly inspired me to go out there and really take someone under my wing the way these people have for me. Love them so much, and just wanted to share this with the rest of the world somewhere. What I experienced today truly was the greatest definition of a theatre family I have every experienced in my entire life! So excited for tomorrows tech!

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: The True Meaning of a Theatre Family
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2013, 11:45 pm »
Glad to hear things are going better for you. This process (going by your prior posts) has apparently been quite stressful for you so perhaps tech seems calm by comparison?

Caroline Naveen

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Re: The True Meaning of a Theatre Family
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2013, 12:12 am »
Yes thank you so much! I still do feel badly about rehearsals being so stressful...there is no reason it should have been that way and I still feel poorly about any time when it seemed evident that I was loosing patience. Unfortunately we still have some issues and situations with certain cast members....which really brings the show down. i.e. The director told me tonight that there have been complaints of in cast bullying...that's NOT cool at ALL. Just sayin'. So in answer to your question our issues are far from over, and it is true when my mentor referenced it to a mini (biggest mainstage show that made everyone crazy last year.) It's just a stretch for venue, the space and the kids especially under the time constraints. But it must be accomplished and schedule and because of this it will happen. I truly believe that once we make it through the next few days it should be great. Tech is I believe to be slightly calmer as I know the show pretty well at this point. It's a whole new set of challenges but we'll keep puttering away slowly and steadily until our press preview on Wednesday night. :)