Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Green Room / Re: Do you attend award ceremonies?
« Last post by ColinMi on Today at 06:34 am »
I usually attend award ceremonies to support friends and/or colleagues. And that's about it. Not too crazy about them otherwise.
Students and Novice Stage Managers / Re: Is college necessary?
« Last post by ssem507 on Today at 05:38 am »
Hello,

I'm not really in the position to say much about an SM but I do agree that going to college is a good choice.
A college is a place where you learn a lot about time management, organization, socializing, and many other skills in general. I didn't know much about theater at all before I came to college as a Studio Art student with an Art History minor with no idea what would available to me in my future. But I happened to get a job in the theater department which led me to get a Theatre minor! My focus is in the building and artsy area of theatre but my degree requires me to take Acting I, Theater Crafts (lighting, painting, sound, etc), an internship for a professional theatre connected to my college, and Stage Managment class which I am in right now. All these various classes gave me insight on all the different departments of theatre and now I feel like my connection with them improved since I now know the basics, and a bit more, on what is going on in each area. Plus, the classes I took for my art history minor (which I dropped for theatre) also helps with understanding styles the designers are thinking about (Baroque, Renaissance, etc). All these skills are essential for a Stage Manager and will improve your skills as you continue your journey as an SM!
I go to a liberal college which also requires me to take classes outside of my major, such as math, science, religion, etc. So think about what kind of college you want to go to as well!
Another benefit to college is if you have any struggles or questions professors would be there to answer them and also provide connections for your future career. Colleges also in general also have a Career Development service for students to write resumes, take professional headshots, do mock interviews, and help you plan your future, all for free. But yeah, the college has opened many doors for me, a student who started out having no idea what to do with her Arts degree.

I think someone mentioned this before but two years of community college is a good idea to save money.

Best of luck from a super-senior-in-college-who-became-a-theater-student-in-her-second-semester-of-her-junior-year-of-college :)
Introductions / Re: Brand new SM
« Last post by Maribeth on Oct 22, 2018, 09:02 pm »
Welcome aboard, Krista! It's an interesting career no matter when you start. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!
The Hardline / Explaining Stage Management to My Therapist
« Last post by LCSM on Oct 22, 2018, 08:38 pm »
Not sure where to put this, so I'm putting it in The Hardline...because it relates to health care...which I have through CAEA. Bit of a stretch, but hey. :)

I'm starting sessions with a new therapist soon, and I'd like to send them a short summary of what a stage manager does, and what the career is like. My former therapist worked with a lot of performing artists, and it was great to talk to someone who already understood the job and the lifestyle, but unfortunately I have to switch things up.

I've found some websites/links that do a good job breaking down the day-to-day responsibilities (scheduling, taking blocking, calling the show, etc.), but I'm struggling to find something that addresses the "soft skills" involved (leading the company, looking out for their well-being, managing conflicts/personalities, etc.) that take more emotional energy.

Does anyone have any links/literature that touches on this? Do you have any favourite ways of explaining/summarizing it?

I tend to default to the "I'm like a personal assistant, but to twenty people instead of just one" line when I speak to friends and family, but I'd love something a little more tailored/nuanced for this particular situation.

P.S. Realizing it's been a LONG time since I've posted anything...though I have been lurking. Hi!!
Students and Novice Stage Managers / Re: Internship Search - Same Place Twice?
« Last post by emi on Oct 22, 2018, 02:35 pm »
Hi Lind,
I totally understand your dilemma. I was part of a company last year that I fell in love with and am debating on going back. It is always good to keep your options open, because throughout the year your direction might change. Applying to a varie ty of internships can show you what opportunities you can have and can hopefully lead you in a direction that will further your education.  Hope this helps!
-Emi
Students and Novice Stage Managers / Re: Writing a new script
« Last post by Maribeth on Oct 20, 2018, 12:53 pm »
You can decrease the amount of space between lines, use a slightly smaller font, decrease your margins, or let it spill on the next page and call the next page "77A".
Students and Novice Stage Managers / Re: Writing a new script
« Last post by Paul on Oct 20, 2018, 08:09 am »
Hi all!

Thank you for your advice with writing a new script. I have finished writing it, 60 pages later.

With regards to putting in the same page numbers, using the page break function helps if the text finishes in the script and not in my written one. But how do you go the other way - so in the copy I wrote, the first page of the script I was given runs on one page but in the one I wrote, that same page continues over two pages. How do you stop it doing this? So that it matches up exactly. Is it a case of playing with the formatting and seeing what works best? But then I don't want to end up with a script that has a variety of fonts and font sizes.

Thank you again for your help and for your help in this as well!
The Green Room / Re: Any historians of turn of century rigging/ backstage?
« Last post by PSMKay on Oct 19, 2018, 06:16 am »
Locked as a homework request until OP has passed the 5 post threshold for homework help.
The New Post Button in Homework Help only shows up when you've made at least 5 posts, as is explained in the rules for that board. This post is locked until you've passed that threshold.
An Australian company I work for has a really nice one that's evolved over a few years of outdoor productions:

This is the land of the (people) of the (nation) nation. The people of this land have a rich culture of storytelling that reaches into the past for thousands of years. We are honoured to add our story to this history tonight.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
riotous