Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Hardline / Re: Question about working through the meal break
« Last post by loebtmc on Aug 17, 2018, 07:59 pm »
Present this to your producer have them make this decision quickly either you get your proper meal break, then come back and set up, or they pay the meal penalty and you set up in time to start when the actors get back from theirs. Make sure you write down what they say and they agree (I had a producer agree on a meal penalty, then decide they hadn't said so after all).

Of course, doing a run thru immediately after eating might make for an interesting run.......
The Hardline / Question about working through the meal break
« Last post by forner on Aug 17, 2018, 01:02 pm »
Need your advice:  I am PSM at a LORT C theater and am in rehearsal for  HELLO DOLLY. Just before the Company went on its scheduled one hour lunch break the director  announced he wanted to have a stumble-through of the entire show after lunch ( A major schedule change!!). I have two ASMs and one production assistant. My question is whether to: Take our required one hour meal break and return in a hour to preset for the stumble-through  thereby delaying the start of stumble-though; OR do the preset over the lunch break and eat in whatever remaining time is left before afternoon rehearsal begins; OR advise the Producer stage management will be putting in for penalty meal time if they have work through the meal break; OR stagger  individual breaks of stage management so each has a full hour to eat as well as preset for the stumble through;OR immediately point out to the director some of the consequences his decision to change the schedule have made for stage management. I am assuming that all members of the stage management here will support the final decision. I know there are other solutions and I  welcome your alternative suggestions. Thanks!
I'm looking for SOUND OF MUSIC, word or pdf, please!

Thanks in advance,

Ruth
Stage Management: Plays & Musicals / Re: rehearsal scene breakdown how to
« Last post by VSM on Aug 15, 2018, 10:46 am »
IMHO - unless the Director has already put together a detailed rehearsal schedule, you won't know until the night before. Be sure and include what scenes you will be working on and the props you will need for those scenes in each nightly rehearsal report.
Ask for "do-fers" if the actual show props are not available yet. Use please and thank you. A lot...
Stage Management: Plays & Musicals / rehearsal scene breakdown how to
« Last post by mizi5620 on Aug 14, 2018, 07:17 pm »
Hi I'm a fairly new SM here. The props designer on the show I'm working on just asked me for a rehearsal scene breakdown. I've made a character scene breakdown and have a rehearsal schedule but she is wanting to know what scenes we will be working on when. How does one go about creating that? Is that something the director and I would create together?
Students and Novice Stage Managers / Special Needs ASM Intern
« Last post by kristaf on Aug 14, 2018, 08:06 am »
The theatre I am currently working in, is a small community theatre that strives to be inclusive to those that are mentally handicapped. They have 2 interns for this show - an ASM and Light Board Operator. They are to shadow us this show. Then will be more involved with the next show. Then actually run their 2 day Play Festival that is readings of plays by other mentally handicapped students. This is for a grant that they received.
We need to find a way for him to document his experience, we also want to make sure that when we know specifically what his duties are...that we are able to show him in pictures and in words..modeling etc... We will also be using a 3 strike system if there are behavior issues. We have the standard rules & regulations for them.
These are some of the duties that we have come up:
1. Before the rehearsal period begins, the ASM should help the Stage Manager set the stage with the needed scenery. Specific verbal, written, and pictorial instructions will be given to the Assistant Stage Manager
2. Before each rehearsal, the ASM should help the SM set out appropriate props for the rehearsal.
3. The SM will help the ASM learn how to document blocking and staging for the show
4. The ASM will help the SM place props and set pieces where they need to be before the show
5. After rehearsals and/or performances, the ASM should help the SM put things away

Has anybody ever done anything like this? Do you have any ideas on how we can help them towards the independence of their own show?
Thanks!

Introductions / Re: A Step Toward the Future :)
« Last post by Brooke_Dengler on Aug 13, 2018, 03:09 pm »
Thank you! I'll definitely have to go with the flow at some point, as I know they won't all work out haha. I have done "Almost, Maine," "Guys and Dolls," "Sleepy Hollow," and "Music Man," and I absolutely love working on musicals. Both "Guys and Dolls" and "Music Man" were incredibly fun and intricate in design and operation that I hope to continue to work on musicals in the future.  :)
Introductions / Brand new SM
« Last post by kristaf on Aug 13, 2018, 01:45 pm »
Hello! My name is Krista and I'm a brand new Stage Manager in the Omaha area. What makes me unique, is I'm starting this gig as a person in their 50's.  :D I did theater in high school, then nothing else for a long time. Once I had my son and as he got older, I started taking him to shows around town - he loves going to shows. I then joined the boards of a couple theaters and became a board member of our Theatre Arts Guild. I work full-time in IT and have a lot of Project Management experience. This summer, I asked if I could be the Assistant Stage Manager for a show. I thought with my pm background, stage managing might be a bit easier for me. I worked with the SM through the whole production and even ran the show a few nights so she could have a break. I was asked this summer to help SM a show this fall already. I'm looking forward to picking up ideas on this board.
Introductions / Re: A Step Toward the Future :)
« Last post by Maribeth on Aug 13, 2018, 09:59 am »
Hi and welcome, Brooke! Sounds like you have a lot plans. Very exciting! We'd love to hear about your experiences. What has been your favorite production that you've worked on so far?
Introductions / A Step Toward the Future :)
« Last post by Brooke_Dengler on Aug 12, 2018, 05:46 pm »
Hello all!,

My name is Brooke Dengler and I am beginning my senior year in high school! My experience lies so far only with my high school drama program, as I have now been my school's stage manager for four shows and hope to continue with my program this year. However, I also plan on branching out to regional theatre in the coming year in order to begin building a more competitive portfolio in preparation for college and the professional world.

In the future, I plan to work locally in my junior college's newly renovated theatre, as well as the county's regional theatre in order to gain experience with multiple directors and setups, including both new and old technology. After high school, I hope to complete my general education at the junior college while continuing my work in their new theatres, then either move to LA or NY to further my career in the professional world (if I can afford such a huge leap...).

I cannot wait for this journey to take off and for all the shows and crews I get to be a part of in the future. After having worked on a film set and in many other work environments, I have found this one to be my passion, and the most rewarding. Theatre is really like no other, as you build families and create gorgeous art together in a unique and beautiful way. I hope to grow greatly this year and begin working my way up in this incredible world of technicians and artists. With that, I cannot wait to be welcomed into this new family of stage managers and to learn from the very best!  ;D

All the best,
Brooke Dengler
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10