Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Stage Management: Other / Re: Paging Calls in Opera
« Last post by smejs on Today at 11:40 pm »
Principals and a featured role or two would get "This is a places call for Mr./Mrs. Lastname, please." (And often that sentence is repeated if it's not a tight sequence.) At the two minute if needed as mentioned above, it would be "Again, Mr. Lastname to stage right, please." If it's been an incredibly short rehearsal time, the side of the stage might be important for the preliminary call. Chorus gets called as a group if all of them, supers may get called by joint title, like Fighters or Bagpipers, etc. And I've definitely had a "Places call for the Cart Entrance" (which was a huge group of people and they knew what I meant). Preshow I might call something like a Places call for Act One Starters, making sure people knew who was needed.

Meanwhile, since I do musicals as well as opera, I find it so funny that theatre folks will often get annoyed if called to places too early (especially top of show), yet in opera if we don't see someone two minutes before their entrance, they feel rushed.
Introductions / Re: Hello World, This is me~
« Last post by BayAreaSM on Today at 11:30 pm »
Welcome, Holly! There is also a Facebook page Stage Management Jobs in Opera, as well as the Job Postings child board of our Employment board - if you'd like to post your SM jobs there.

Please check out the SM: Other board and see if you can answer some questions for our SMs that are new to the worlds of opera and dance. We'd love to hear from you.
« Last post by BKrynicki on Today at 09:21 am »
Same as Joshua S. said. Additionally, I might occasionally call Places please Principals, Chorus and Supers for the [Banquet/Party Scene/Finale...] if I have little time to speak and if that is a term the performers would be familiar with from rehearsals. Keep it simple.
« Last post by Joshua S. on May 24, 2017, 07:18 pm »
For me, its just the performer name and just to the stage, not to the side of the stage (Mr./Ms. Smith to stage please).  For coro/supers, its usually just paging the group to the stage, as choruses in opera tend to follow the same track, or its broken into male/female/childrens coro.  If, for instance, one member (or a small group) of coro or supers appears separately from the rest of the group, I would call them by name.  As an ASM, around the 2 minute to entrance mark, if the performers I need are not present I ask for a re-page, and then as the stage manager, I would probably include the side of the stage in my re-page, and if it were specific coro or supers missing, they would get a page by name if possible.
Introductions / Hello World, This is me~
« Last post by HollyA on May 24, 2017, 07:00 pm »
Hello Everyone~

My name is Holly Ahlborn.  I have been a Stage Manager of Theatre, Musical Theatre, Dance, Concerts, Special Events,  and Opera.  Currently, I am the Director of Production with the Long Beach Opera.  It is a pleasure to meet you.

I primarily joined this site to seek out likely candidates for Stage Managing positions for LBO's 2018/2019 Seasons.
If you are proficient at reading Music, an LA/LB/OC local with Opera or Musical Theatre experience, I want to hear from you!

Contact me through Long Beach Opera's website.  I am selecting my SM Teams NOW!

Looking forward to hearing from you~
Stage Management: Other / Paging Calls in Opera
« Last post by BeccaTheSM on May 24, 2017, 03:39 pm »
Hi guys! I've been SMing operas for a while, and I wanted to see what format others use when they page performers to the stage, mostly out of curiosity, since I developed my format on-the-job. Do you include character names in the call, or just the performer's name (as Mr. or Ms. Smith)? What about a children's chorus? What about a few selected children from the children's chorus? Do you call them to the specific side of the stage or merely "to the stage"?

Thanks in advance for everyone's two cents!
Introductions / Re: Intro post - SM from Washington, DC
« Last post by bex on May 23, 2017, 05:00 pm »
High 5 DC represent!
Introductions / Re: Intro post - SM from Washington, DC
« Last post by Maribeth on May 23, 2017, 04:18 pm »
Welcome aboard, from another DC-area SM. :)
Introductions / Intro post - SM from Washington, DC
« Last post by lmwood on May 23, 2017, 03:10 pm »
Hey everybody!

I'm a stage manager from Washington, DC. I work full-time at a theater education nonprofit and stage manage for small, non-eq companies throughout the year.

I've been reading this forum since I first started freelancing in 2013/14, so I figured it was high time that I join the conversation. Thanks for having me!
Employment / Re: Non SM jobs for former SMs
« Last post by lmwood on May 23, 2017, 02:56 pm »
I work in nonprofit development, which I find has a lot of the same skills -- communicating between departments and with funders, tracking deadlines & deliverables, event planning, etc. For a long time, our Development Director was also an SM, so she totally understood if I needed to change my schedule for tech. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
riotous