Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Two decades ago - cough - when I was in college, our school would take a yearly trip to the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Canada. It was great to get master classes/discussions with the performers, etc., as a lot of actors went, but I was absolutely over the moon that I got to sit in the booth during Amadeus. While everyone else was talking about the fantastic acting, I was gushing over how cuelights worked and "standby for the figure" and trying to figure out what it was in advance and where it might come from.
I know it's an incredible long-shot, but does anyone have a copy of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME? We just got our rights for it, and are looking to move into auditions quickly...

Thanks in advance!
Students and Novice Stage Managers / Re: Shadowing: General Q&A
« Last post by chadparkerla on Jun 23, 2017, 11:28 pm »
You can sometimes find the email address by searching various publications, but I've honestly never been too successful that way.

The most success I had was a nicely typed professional letter which I put in an envelope and addressed to the stage manager. I walked to the stage entrance and gave it to security and asked them to deliver it.

In my letter I introduce myself, told them about my goals, and gave my cell phone number and email address. I asked if shadowing was possible and asked them if they would contact me and let me know. Most contacted me via email or text and we set it up relatively easily.

I also said I'd love to have coffee with them if shadowing wasn't possible. (Some companies may not allow shadowing)

It usually took one to three days to get a reply. I'd suggest dropping off the letter early in the run (But not the first or second day, those are crazy busy for a SM and you may get lost in the shuffle)

Be professional and polite and you will be more successful than you might expect.

Chad

I too am interested in shadowing a Broadway SM while I'm doing my internship in the city this summer and I've been having difficulty finding the email addresses for the theaters/PSMs. Does anyone have any advice on how to gain this information?
Introductions / Re: Hello from Western North Carolina
« Last post by Michelle R. Wood on Jun 21, 2017, 09:52 pm »
Hi from central North Carolina: are you looking to stay here in the Tar Heel state of move on? NCTC is a great resource for job information.
Tools of the Trade / Re: Rehearsal Reports
« Last post by Maribeth on Jun 21, 2017, 06:24 pm »
Thank you for your response, but I'm still wondering what if it feels as though there is not much to report for that day in rehearsal, especially like in the beginning of the process?

That just means a quick and easy report that day! :)
The Hardline / Re: Who has worked on/ attended Fringe Festivals
« Last post by BayAreaSM on Jun 21, 2017, 02:31 am »
I am a SM on a NewWorks festival, and this will be my 8th year of working it this summer. I'm on 2 CERs for the new work and we only perform twice during the 2 week festival. Feel free to message me if this is what you're looking for.
« Last post by BayAreaSM on Jun 21, 2017, 02:29 am »
It's still necessary to have the record. At least for the AEA work I've done over the last "X" number of years, a daily rehearsal report is expected.

Even if you feel nothing eventful happened, you still note the hours of the rehearsal, any absences, any tardies, and what was worked. Sometimes a director may turn to you and ask "when did we last work on scene 3?" and if you have your reports, you can tell them. Also - sending this record of what happened during the rehearsal can tell how long certain scenes are taking, which can help get you support if blocking/etc is taking too long to accomplish and you're running out of rehearsal time before tech. Granted, this may not help at the high school level - but it will in the future. Also, it will help you understand how fast this director works - and help you gauge timings for upcoming rehearsals.
I've gotten to Apprentice (I guess a long term shadow you could say) on Matilda (a sit down before the 2nd national) and The Sound of Music Ntl. I got to learn the deck tracks and watch the calling a bunch. It definitely confirmed my love for stage management!
« Last post by mandalinmarcell on Jun 20, 2017, 06:27 pm »
Thank you for your response, but I'm still wondering what if it feels as though there is not much to report for that day in rehearsal, especially like in the beginning of the process?
« Last post by BilOregon on Jun 19, 2017, 02:28 pm »
I agree with what Maribeth has said.  Just one small thing to add is if you email it to them (not just share it) they can't come back and say, "You never told me!"

I do my rehearsal reports on Google Docs but I then save it as a PDF and email it to everyone.  It takes me an extra couple of minutes but then I know everyone has it and it is now their choice if they read it or not.  If they say they didn't know, I tell them the exact date I sent it and then resend it to them. 

Best,
Bil
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
riotous