Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I feel like in the age of technology we now live in, you shouldn't have to spend 3 days making phone calls.  I worked for a rather large community theatre for a couple of years, and they always just posted the cast list, in both a physical location and on their website and never had any issues with this process.  The process was also made very clear during auditions though about when callback/cast lists would be posted and where to look for them.  If you're the one doing this for every show or at least a good portion of them, then I would definitely be proactive about finding a more efficient and effective way.
Thank you for responding!

At the community theater I work with, I am approached months ahead of time to SM a show.  I've never had any of the directors make their own phone calls; it's always been me.  (They don't want to be the "bad guy".) 

Normally, how I've done it is to start with the leads and work my way down the list.  The longest it's taken to get thru the entire list is 3 days because of leaving messages, returning phone calls, etc.  (I also have a regular day-job so I can only make phone calls in the evening.)

One theater here has sent out individual emails to let people know they've been cast.   (That would actually work great for me...)
Introductions / Re: Introductory post
« Last post by Maribeth on Apr 26, 2017, 04:57 pm »
Hello and welcome! I too am a fan of punching the script on the right, and putting a blocking page in on the opposite page. You can also cut the corner off of your blocking page, to make the page-turn easier- that way you're only grabbing one sheet at a time.
Introductions / Re: Introduction - So nice to meet you all!
« Last post by Maribeth on Apr 26, 2017, 04:50 pm »
Welcome aboard! Be sure to check out the Students and Novice Stage Managers board- it has some great info about working on student productions.
Tools of the Trade / Re: Steel toe boots?
« Last post by Maribeth on Apr 26, 2017, 04:35 pm »
I've never owned a pair as an SM, but as others have mentioned, if you anticipate picking up any side work like electrics calls, you might find them valuable.

If you're doing an apprenticeship you might consider asking your supervisor if you'll be working load-ins, strikes, etc as part of the job.
The Green Room / Re: Production Haikus
« Last post by BilOregon on Apr 25, 2017, 06:07 pm »
House is way too hot
Not allowed to change the temp
actors not happy!
« Last post by VSM on Apr 25, 2017, 12:52 pm »
Most of my work is as a PSM. That being said, I have a pair of steel-toes for when the situation calls for it, (most often during on-site rehearsals and tech) and a pair of comfy slip-ons so I can take a seat, take off my shoes and call the show!
Introductions / Re: Hi. Acting, Stage Manager HERE!
« Last post by VSM on Apr 25, 2017, 12:44 pm »
Welcome Aboard !!!
« Last post by PSMKay on Apr 25, 2017, 07:43 am »
Speaking as a veteran of Chicago non-equity, most of the big houses are all IA and the smaller houses are super tiny. In a lot of the storefronts you can't even be on book backstage because the audience will be able to hear your page turns.

If you're working non-equity your main focus will be silence while moving backstage more than protecting your feet from major damage during load ins.

The most I had to do for a load in was sorting props and the occasional piece of furniture. I did sustain some pretty major injuries but most were due to repeatedly falling down flights of stairs in the dark.
« Last post by bex on Apr 24, 2017, 11:22 am »
Honestly I think it depends on the type of performances you're working on and the type of SM you are.
Are you working in big events venues with forklifts moving equipment around, or are you working in tiny blackboxes?
And are you going to be picking up carpentry work on the side or is that something you're not interested in?

I've literally never owned a pair of steel-toes and I've never worked on a show where I felt like I needed them, but I also don't work concerts or convention-center type events, and I haven't worked in any kind of scene shop or load-in since college. Your mileage may vary.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10