Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 2518 times)

podsjim

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • encoretheatricallighting.com
  • Affiliations: Stage Managers Association
  • Current Gig: Bye Bye Birdie (University Lake School)
  • Experience: Professional
Hello Everyone
« on: Jan 15, 2016, 11:19 pm »
Hi    I am a new member and so very proud to be one. 

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2016, 09:43 am »
Hi there- we're glad to have you. Tell us about yourself. How did you come to be a stage manager? What kind of shows do you like to work on?

podsjim

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • encoretheatricallighting.com
  • Affiliations: Stage Managers Association
  • Current Gig: Bye Bye Birdie (University Lake School)
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2016, 02:17 pm »
I have been stage managing for a very long time.  I love working on musicals and opera the most.  I have done everything except dance and am looking forward to doing a dance heavy production in May 2016.  For me I love the collaboration of theater. I enjoy the day to day of the rehearsal process and I love to solve problems before anyone else notices that there even is a problem.  My catch phrase that I get teased about is--- "We'll work it out in tech".  I guess the moral is to realize who is within earshot before you say something tongue in cheek or sarcastically that is meant to be funny.  I though tit was a good answer to the question of how will we execute a particular scene shift?  The question came up in the first week of rehearsal during staging.  YIKES!!!

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2016, 03:39 pm »
My catch phrase that I get teased about is--- "We'll work it out in tech".  I guess the moral is to realize who is within earshot before you say something tongue in cheek or sarcastically that is meant to be funny.  I though tit was a good answer to the question of how will we execute a particular scene shift?  The question came up in the first week of rehearsal during staging.  YIKES!!!

I've often had the opposite, where the director says "we'll work it out in tech" and I'm the one trying to figure out a feasible way now/soon so that we don't come to a grinding halt in tech. Especially with a recent director who couldn't at all visualize the scrim coming in for "in-one" scenes and kept putting scenery and furniture downstage of the taped out scrim line. Yes, some things can wait until tech to work out, but some it's better to have a plan earlier. Depends on the show and the elements!

Welcome!
-Erin

BenTheStageMan

• Contributor
  • Sometimes all you need in life is a little Blue.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Olney Theatre Center, Olney MD
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2016, 10:54 pm »
I second this.  Was supervising a tech recently where the Director and SM apparently decided to wait to figure things out in tech and let me tell you it was a rough few days!  You've got to at least have a plan A, though like they say no battle plan survives contact with the enemy!
"Show people are doomed!  Doomed to a life of booze...and pills...and heavy meals late at night!" -Judy, "Ruthless!"

riotous