Author Topic: Theatre is just another Stage of Mind...  (Read 1831 times)

StageofMind

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: NYU Alumnus, Member ODK
  • Experience: Former SM
Theatre is just another Stage of Mind...
« on: Mar 05, 2013, 08:58 pm »
Greetings all!

I am a former SM who has moved temporarily *crossed fingers* to the dark a.k.a. directing side of the business.  I've mostly been doing high school lately, but considering making a leap into directing the dreaded "Waiting for Guffman" community theatre.  I am not trying to bash all community theatre groups, just a few I've worked with years ago.

SM wise, I've run community theatre, college performances as well as operas.  I've enjoyed my time with the more professional organizations, particularly the opera companies!

I also pick up work as a LD, MD, and TD.  I'm not sure which I enjoy the paperwork on, but I know my favorite moments are calling shows, or conducting the pit orchestras.  Something about having to live on the edge, where a moment of inattention can mess with incalculable numbers of actors, technicians, and patrons.

I look forward to reading through the various boards and chatting with you all!

Cheers!  ::)
"Put that down. It's worth more than you are."

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Theatre is just another Stage of Mind...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2013, 03:10 pm »
Hello and welcome to SMNetwork.  If you enjoy opera, you will definitely want to check out our SM: Other board.  I hope that you have a positive experience working with the community theatre; I have seen some truly wonderful productions at companies considered to be "community theatres."  When you're working in an environment where everyone is excited about a project and pulling together to put on the production that can be the reward in and of itself though the result may not be as polished as what you find in a professional setting.  Hope you find the forum to be a useful resource.

riotous