Author Topic: Start them early  (Read 1645 times)

rox824

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Start them early
« on: May 21, 2015, 11:00 pm »
Hello all,
I am a high school theatre arts teacher who has visited this board several times and I was finally compelled to join. I have worked with high school theatre for nearly 20 years. Four years ago, I landed a full time theatre arts position (before I taught a variety of classes and theatre was my "extra-curricular").
I feel a responsibility to not only teach acting, but to be as concise with my crews. Stage management is one area that I feel is often neglected at the high school level in our area. I want my kids to feel comfortable with their skills and ready to move on to college or community theatre opportunities.
I'm not one to "reinvent the wheel" so I'm hoping to learn more here that can benefit my students.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Start them early
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 03:20 pm »
Welcome!

I think it's great that you want your tech students to be prepared for theater after high school. It may be true across the board that most high schools don't have the time or the man power to help teach theater beyond acting. I know that was the case at my high school when I started stage managing. I had to take what I learned working on crew in community theater to know what a stage manager does, and bring that back to high school.

These boards have so much information - and be sure to check out the Forms board, if you want to help your aspiring stage managers get the basics of their paperwork. As you know, stage managing in high school is far different from college, community and professional theater, but if you can give your students a strong foundation, that will so helpful in the long run.