Author Topic: Stage Managing in Sin City  (Read 4410 times)

stogin1995

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Stage Managing in Sin City
« on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:54 pm »
Hello All!

My name is Alan J. Stogin. I have been in theatre since my Sophomore year of high school, I was a stage hand in my high school production of 'Guys and Dolls'. After high school I got my Bachelors Degree from Eastern Oregon University in La Grande, Oregon. My Degree was in Theatre: Directing and Stage Management. While at EOU I managed 6 productions. I was awarded a KCACTF Merit Award for managing a production of 'Devil Boys From Beyond'. Currently, I am in my first year of Grad School at The University of Nevada, Las Vegas. As soon as I arrived at UNLV I was assigned to Manage a new opera and a new play!

Here is a tip I have for young stage managers: Ask questions! I know it can be embarrassing to ask a question that you think everyone else knows the answer to, but once you ask, you will know too! I can not begin to tell you how many of the issues I've had could have been avoided by asking a simple question. The Stage Management Community is just that. A community, and let me say that it is a very supportive community! You should always be learning, so know that it is okay to not know how to do something.  Being able to ask questions and learn of the answers is a skill that is needed, even the most professional stage managers ask questions.

I am excited to be apart of this group and be able to gain new wisdom as well as share mine!

-Alan J. Stogin

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Stage Managing in Sin City
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:55 pm »
Welcome! I'll be in Vegas from Thanksgiving Monday until Christmas Eve working on Nutcracker. Maybe we can catch each other.

Erin

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2018, 01:25 pm »
Welcome Alan.
What a great attitude you shared with us.
Thank you!
Ordo ab chao

stogin1995

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2018, 04:17 pm »
smejs- That is amazing! I would love to meet up! Shoot me a message and I will send you my email and/phone number!

-Alan

Welcome! I'll be in Vegas from Thanksgiving Monday until Christmas Eve working on Nutcracker. Maybe we can catch each other.

Erin

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2018, 10:36 pm »
And I will be in Vegas with The Lion King.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.